Just been given Orlistat by GP but concerned

Posted , 3 users are following.

I need to lose 7 stone and GPhas given me Orilistat to take 3 times a day with meals. I’ve read the side effects and I’m terrified, in my job I travel all over the country and attend meetings and worried about what may happen. Is it that bad? Also is it worth it does it actually work? Would appreciate any guidance or experiences

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Yes they do work. You will only get the side effects if you have too much fat.

When I first went on Orlistat my doctor told me no more than 30g of fat a day. She advised splitting that as 5g for breakfast, 10g for lunch and 15g for dinner. Obviously you can adjust that to suit you but it gives you a general guideline to work with.

Give them a go, as I said they do work and hopefully you'll get a pleasant surprise on your first weigh in. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Thanks Jackie that’s really encouraging. I’m on my second day and so far so good, will keep you posted on progress x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.