Just been given this drug but reviews are horrifying!

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've just been given mirtazapine for general anxiety disorder, I haven't taken them yet and after reviews on here I'm actually petrified now! Is there any fellow anxiety disorder sufferers that can guide me on what medication might suit better? 

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Mirtazapine worked wonders for me 12 years ago for depression and ocd (anxiety) took for 5 years. Had to restart on them this year and they never had the same effect, so had to try something different which fingers crossed is working?? You wont want to hear this but its the luck of the draw with these pills, some people say mirtazapine helps with anxiety some say not and that its more for depression. It has less side effects than most apart from knocking you out intially at night especially at the lower doses, they are best to take at night. You will find lots of posts about how hard they are to withdrawal from but that was never my experiance but its possible mine had stopped working over a period of time anyhow which was why no good this time. I was med free for 5 years in between and then ocd krept up on me again. I have found g.ps hand these drugs out but are not the experts on them, mine tried telling me that there were no specfic drugs for ocd but infact there are 6 to 8 that are approved for ocd. Im taking sertraline now by the way.
  • Posted

Hi Stella

Your fear is well founded.  This drug was not one that worked for me regarding anxiety.  I do understand that we are all different and it's a case of trial an error which when you are dealing with mental illness and anxiety is very concerning.  Sadly doctors know very little about these drugs but hand them out too easily.  In most cases they don't have the time to get beyond the first 10 minute consultation.  I only wish I had your foresight when I was handed mirtazapine.  When I took them I didn't know this website even existed.  I can't suggest another AD but if you are "petrified" I would take your time and maybe return to your surgery for another consultation.

I took 15mg for less than 6 months.  I stopped because they didn't work for my anxiety issues.  I also made the mistake of going cold turkey not realising how protracted and horrific the withdrawal is when you stop this drug.  That's when I discovered you are very much alone dealing with the problems withdrawal throws at you.  The medical profession refuse to use the word withdrawal and unless they can hand out another AD will leave you to flounder until you find a support group such as this.  There are loads of different opinions on what is best for anxiety and bear in mind that each one given is a true account because of their experiences.  Good luck and I applaud your cautious and sensible approach.

• Posted

My problem which led me to take this drug was simply not being able to sleep.

Even with 7.5mg(half a tablet) I sleep well but am groggy throughout the day. I am sure that there are benefits to some but in my case I have put on weight and despite cutting my dose gradually I cannot get off them without going back to sleepless nights.

• Posted

Hi bob, I made the mistake of telling my doctor I was having trouble sleeping with anxiety and I think that's why they decided I should be on this drug, I'm currently weighing up my options although I tried self help I'm now thinking medication might be the best option for me as I'm not functioning well during daily life 

• Posted

Stella

My experience was that Mirtazapine was great for sleep - I guess your Doc reached the same decision as mine. Would not give me Zopiclone (addictive !) nor diazepam (addictive !) so knowing that Mirtazapine helps sleep (as is non addictive supposedly) this was why I ended on it. Stopped using it 6 months ago after a slow taper. Doc recommended I just stop when taking 7.5 mg and it was then I realised that he had no experience of withdrawal. Why don't you take just half or even 1/4 of a tablet on the first night to see how you get on. Am sure you will get a good nights sleep with plenty of dreams!

• Posted

Hi cloud

Yes I agree with you when you say the doctors have no experience when dealing with patients with mirtazapine withdrawal.  They don't even like to use the word withdrawal and say these drugs are not addictive.  In my experience, if a drug presents with such bad withdrawal that a patient needs to go back on it, or increase their dosage because withdrawal symptoms are unbearable and they are unable to cope that sounds like an addiction.  But then I'm not a doctor so what do I know.  They are absolutely adamant about not giving out Zopiclone or diazepam but mirtazapine for many people has proved just as addictive and/or harmful.  Forgive my ramblings. I'm just a fellow sufferer but pleased to read you managed a successful taper

• Posted

Christine

Your comments are certainly not ramblings but sound common sense !! - could not agree with you more. We may not be doctors but have far more experience of the ins and outs of this drug !! Best wishes

• Posted

Hi stella

What I cannot understand is why the medical profession automatically say you are depressed just because you cannot sleep

• Posted

This is what I couldn't work out bob, I do have general anxiety but when I said about waking during the night as well they started saying it's a strong sign of depression?? I'm also quite sure it's a strong sign of anxiety! It just confuses me 😩

• Posted

I know i did say g.p's dont always know what their prescribing but without going on a witch hunt, it can be tricky i guess as too much anxiety will lead to depression with similar symptoms. Also although there are specific drugs for anxiety my understanding is anti depressants are the first and best option and they also tend to treat sleep issues and anxiety too, otherwise u might end up with lots of pills to take. I guess doctors should give more info about side effects and withdrawal but when you are at your worst and they first prescribe i dont think you would except any of the pills, as they can all have issues with individual people. And then your other option is therapy which currently on the nhs is about 4 months waiting time by which time you would almost certainly be depressed and a lot worse.

• Posted

I know what u mean, it's a slippery slope, I'm on diazepam for sleep at the min and it's kinda helping so that's not too bad! My husband is basically doing everything around the house and doing nightshift work 😓 I feel so guilty, just wish I even felt half normal 

• Posted

You will get there just keep talking to your g.p if things are not working out. I would try the mirtzapine, the lower doses do make you sleepy and you may feel groggy to start with. If it does not feel right after a couple weeks slowly taper off but withdrawal should not be too bad as u would not have taken for long. Im not saying you will feel better after that amount if time it can take a lot longer. Just see if your body accepts intially. Problem with anti depressants know one can say what u will get side effect wise as everyone is different.
  • Posted

I was given mirtazapine to help me with sleep I tried both lowerand higher doses it didn't seem to help me sleep. It seem to agitate me even more, when I was able to fall asleep gave me incredible dreams.  I thought it had had helped with moods so I asked my doctor about taking it with something else for sleep. I tried taking it earlier in the day but it made feel groggy. So I just gave up. 

• Posted

I've also just been prescribed 15mg Mirtazapine after a horrendous month on 20mg Fluoxetine when my anxiety was through the roof. I had previously been on 100mg of Sertraline for 18 months but had to come off them because of side effects (Akathisia).

I've suffered with OCD, GAD and depression for all of my life but had avoided any drugs at all until two years ago when I had a little boy (I'm male) and wanted to be a better Dad than I would be.

My experiences haven't been brilliant at all but I'm just hoping to find a drug that suits and will enable me to stay on them indefinitely......

• Posted

I've been battling it out myself Gary and to be honest I thought myself it was time for meds! I'm a mother of 5 and for their sake I'm willing to try anything, fingers crossed mirtazapine works for us both 🙂

• Posted

My wife will certainly agree with that! 

I've just been reading about the weight gain and that will have my anxiety through the roof if it affects me. 

Why cant they make a bugger that works with no side effects!

• Posted

I don't even care about the weight gain, as long as it makes me strong enough to function everyday and look after my kids and be happy then it will be well worth it for me! Good luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.