Just been prescribed amitriptyline

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've just been prescribed amitriptyline for my fibro pain. 10mg one or two at night.

I get up for work at 6:30 morning what sort of time do people think I should take it so I'm not zombiefied in the morning.

Also it says no alcohol is one or two glasses of wine at the weekend ok??

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Arual,

I was on Amitriptyline for a while and I still allowed myself my one or two drinks with it. I just made sure to wait a few hours after I had stopped drinking before taking it

• Posted

My consultant told me not to take it after 7.30 pm.  No longer take it at all as  I could not tolerate the side effects but I know many on here swear by it. I'm teetotal so have no idea on the drink front I am afraid!  Hope it works for you.
  • Posted

Hi, I am on lots of meds and also on 25mg of amitriptyline at bedtime, I take it around 10pm and am up at 5.30 for work. I sleep well and am awake in the morning. However everyone is different. You will find what is best for you. 😃
  • Posted

Hi Arual:

I wouldnt that med w/alcohol...Trust me not a good thing...I had to stop taking just didn't work w/ my body... Not to say it won't w/ U, but follow the directions how or what not take w/ that med.

Wishing success...

Smiles & Giggles,

Valerie826

• Posted

Hi I started taking 10mg Amitriptyline about 10 days ago. I take it between 6.30pm and 7pm, I sometimes have a glass of wine or two, in the evening, and go to bed between 9 and 10pm. I go to sleep about 11, after reading, and wake about 7, although I am aware of the effect all day, and sometimes need a nap in the day. Trial and error my dear! Jeanne. xx
    • Posted

Just realised my previous post might have sounded like I meant I felt the effects of the amitriptyline WITH alcohol the next day. I meant the effects of the amitriptyline ( same effect with or without the alcohol). Hope I've made sense. Jeanne xx
    • Posted

Hi yes you made sense. I'm going to leave it till the weekend and then maybe have a glass at the weekend and see. I don't drink loads but do like the odd glass to relax
    • Posted

Good idea to leave it till the weekend anyway. Cheers! Jeanne xx
  • Posted

Hi Arual, I was on them to I used to take them around 9pm and up for work at 5.45 but I was like a zombie most of the day and found I desperately needed a nap in the afternoon but as I work long shifts this was impossible,

I can't really say I noticed any difference in my pain either just wanted to sleep more but it still wasn't sound sleep,

But I know people who function very well on them and have been on them quite a while,

I didn't drink with them as I suffer from vertigo as well and they made my ears ring so drinking was a no no

All the best x

• Posted

Thanks for your advice everyone. Am going to start taking it tomorrow night as my hubby brought us a nice bottle of red for tonight. Will see how it goes
  • Posted

Hi arual its not wise to drink alcohol when on any medication hun, any dr would say no where alcohol is concerned. I cant advise on the tablets as I had to stop taking them because of the side affects. take care gentle hugs
  • Posted

Hi everyone

Been busy looking afrer my new king Charles puppies. They have given me something else to focus on and smile more.

I take amatriptyline, 30mg at 7pm and go to sleep about 10pm , if I take it later I don't get more than 5 hrs sleep before pain comes back.I very rarly get more than 6 to 7 anyway. When I have a flare I sleep more but est a lot longer. Take care .Hugs to everyone. X

• Posted

Hi Mace how lovely king charles puppies, I have a bichon frise called charlie hes hes 6 in july. hes such a joy to have and helps to lift my spirits have fun with the puppies take care gentle hugs
  • Posted

I took my 10mg dose at 7:30 last night. Didn't feel anymore drowsy then normal last night. But today I just want to go back to bed and I'm at work till 5:30 😴😴😴😴
    • Posted

Hi arual...yep that what it does...that's Y I just couldn't take it...It just dragged me down !! Hopefully, your Dr will change ur med if U decide to.

Much success & keep us gals posted

Smiles & Giggles,

Valerie826

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.