Just Been Put On Venlaflaxine For Depression

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,

I have just been put on 75mg of venlaflaxine dor depression & anxiety.

Has anyone used or tried this drug?

Is it helpful?

What kind of side effects can i expect?

Any info would be of great use.

Thank you x

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, just thought I'd mention that there is a discussion group for Venlalaxine if you didn't already know about it, like this Depression group but for Venlaflaxine, you should find lots of people who know about it there smile
  • Posted

Hi Butterfly.

My personal experience with Venlafaxine has been a rollercoaster. I feel it worked at the beginning for me but then i became dependant on them because of the withdrawls. The highest doseage i reached was 300mg. 

You really need to know that the withdrawl symptoms are not the nicest and you will quickly find out if you miss a dose.

I found it easier to quit smoking than to come off these, i am currently coming off venlafaxine cold turkey. 

Are these the first anti-depressants you have been given?

• Posted

Thank you very much for letting me know sunset i will join it.

And also thank you to both of you for taking the time to reply to my message. I really only have this place i can come and chat.

I have been on citalipram, prozac, amitryiptaline and escitalopram with no results so i really do hope these work as i'm really struggling to cope. x

• Posted

No problem, I'm happy to chat if ever you want to message me smile
  • Posted

Firstly, warm wishes to your health!

If I had any advice to give right now if say RUUUN!!

Run so very far away from this drug.  

I can tell you it did help me in the beginning for what I needed it to.

I can also tell you is you're not going to be on 75mg for ever? Your doctor will bump you up. You will become so dependent on this drug it is not funny and if like many other even after oooops for some reason you forget one dosage you start to feel withdrawals and get sick. 

I noticed it was really effecting my memory, terrible. I read up on it and others had substantial claims as well. 

If you do not plan on being on Effexor for the rest of your life you must get off now, right this second.  Find another alternative.  Because you can't miss any pills. Effexor is the worst withdrawal ever. And Nothing you read about the withdrawals are exaggerated. 

I went through hell getting off and I'm still feeling the effects, everyday is getting better. 

This is the top 2 prescribed depression drug because yes it does work. But I only needed a temporary hug from SNRI land. And this drug and it's chemical effect on our bodies was not the way any doctor should go.  

• Posted

I have tried other drugs already that i mentioned & am feeling so ill now i do need to take something before something bad happens.

I think coming off any drug is horrid & my experience citalapram was just soooo awful.

So please i need some positivity in mt life and support. But i know you are only trying to help me so thanks x

• Posted

Hi

I was put on Venlaflaxine 37.5 mg one in mornng one before i go to sleep and for me they are the best things i have ever been put on!

I feel settled on them though sometimes a bit emotionally numb but not always..

I have sometimes forgotten a dose but never had withdrawls!

Took a few weeks to feel settled but am now. 

Not saying i never feel down,  if something full on is happening in my life i can break down and have a good cry but soon pick up. 

I have been on these for over 4 years.

Good luck..

• Posted

Hi Butterfly

I had been put on 75mg Venlafaxine about 8 years ago for anxiety which I really found very effective although I did find if I ran out or forgot a dose I'd have the sensation in my head like a buzz that would happen every hour or so. That's one side effect of missing a dose. My gp recently increased my dose to 150 mg due to depression/anxiety so at moment I'm feeling tired and do have episodes of forgetfulness but this is to be expected of this med. I have personally found it very helpful as I had tried other antidepressants which didn't agree with me. Just wait for at least 2 months or less to see if it's any beneficial and not miss a dose. Then you'll know yourself

good luck !!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.