Just been told I have hyperthyroidism and a bit confused.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, new here been reading other post and finding them very interesting and helpful.

I went to doctors with a sore foot and also complained about generally a vague not feeling great.  Blood test done and turns out I have an overactive thyroid because I'm over weight (5foot3, size 16/18) GP convinced I'm diabetic, test come back negative  (twice) so then tested for celiac disease as blood test showed signs of inflammation, also negative.  GP says don't know what's wrong as blood test not standard for just hyperthyroidism so must have another issue, I'm also have anaemic and I'm B12 deficient (not sure if that's normal with the thyroid).  Waiting for referral for endocrinologist but started on 20mg carbimazole. At first GP was going to also start beta blockers but has asked me to come back in 2 weeks to see if he want to start them.

So confused, have asked for copy of blood test as my memory and concentration  are shot can't remember everything GP said.  Worried about putting on weight on carbimazole, how long it will take for referral and just how long it will be before I feel normally again trying to study for my masters and just can't concentrate or retain info at the moment.

i suppose I'm just looking for a little reassurance and to know that I'm not the only one worrying about these things.

thanks for reading, Kerry

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kerry when I was first diagnosed several years ago it was picked up as my antibodies were high been on and off Carbizamole over the years as I come out of remmision I had no problems on the medication and doesn’t take long to feel ok I’m still on my journey seeing encro on Monday as I’ve been feeling unwell again in jan I had my bloods done and had started to rise again having more bloods done before I see him I’m surprised your gp gave you Carbizamole as I had to wait and see encro to see what dose I also had a thyroid scan this disease can be awfull at times good luck chic x

• Posted

kerry

Sounds like you should ask your doctor to test to see if you have Antibodies for Graves’ disease or indeed for

Hashimotos  disease 

This will put a name to what you are actually suffering from.

If you come back on here and print out the numbers on your results ...

by the way those results belong to .... YOU 

So they are obliged to give you them.

Anyway print out all the numbers including those that are in brackets , as those are the ranges of your Lab and will enable you to see where you are on their scales .

Then we can advise you further as to what to do next.

It’s good your  GP started you on 

Carbimazole , if a little unusual , 

As they normally expect your Endocrinologist  (  Endo )   To do that .

I wouldn’t personally have taken beta blockers  .. as I was too afraid to .

But Carbimazole worked very well for me   ... and didn’t notice any weight  gain to speak of.

Within a a few months I felt a huge difference !!

B12  deficiency is very common in HYPERThyroid  patients or Graves’ disease patients

Also they often have deficiencies in 

B12

Magnesium 

D3   

Zinc

... and a few others too

It’s well worth asking your doctor  for vitamin testing  when you’re there to see exactly what you need in terms of minerals and vitamins 

You have been running at 100 miles an hour like us all .. and it’s so important you replace all that’s been taken from you .

. ( in the case of Graves ) 

you must build up your immune system to get it to leave your Thyroid Gland alone .

After your Carbimazole treatment and Once you have made those replacements .. all your symptoms will start to diminish  .. and you’ll start to feel like your old self again ..

Best of luck .. don’t forget to let us know your results .

Mx🌹

• Posted

Hi Kerry.

I was diagnosed in November, totally shocked as I thought a hyperactive thyroid would mean I was skinny and twitchy, and I was fat and fatigued! Turns out I was also an inch from a heart attack. My GP put me on beta blockers and carbimazole immediately. I'm no longer on the beta blockers. Anyway, I started losing weight and have lost two stone since I went on the meds, down to a size 12 for the first time in years. My appetite was out of control before.

I am an academic and my work and concentration were really affected. I didn't realise how badly ill I was. It's only in the last month, really, that my brain has started to clear. And I have the energy again to write. My endocrinologist said to give it a year to feel better.

The other thing is that I have severe muscle wasting. So although the thyroid seems to be under control, regaining my strength is going to take a while.

Hang in there. Although it's awful, yiu may find that you begin to feel better than you have in a long time.

Good luck.

J

• Posted

Thank you for the replies, final got a copy of the blood test today but the only thing it says next to thyroid function test is a !  And it says talk to doctor, it does not have any figures.  Mind you it also says talk to doctor about 'blood haematinic levels', 'erythrocytes sedimentation rate', 'full blood count', 'bone profile', 'blood glucose levels', 'urea and electrolytes'.  I have no idea which of these are connected / caused by the thyroid problem.  

But the best thing is started the carbimazole 20mg and feel so much better, not a  sleepy, sweaty exhausted shakey mess who did not know if she was coming or going.

Got the endo on Monday, and thanks to you all have a better idea of what to ask.

thanks again, your comments really helped. K

• Posted

That’s great  Kerry ...  and Endo will explain your  results you have given us ..

. but you may waste a lot of time as you should have a full thyroid panel of tests done before you see Endo .. 

as he will not be able to tell you what your Thyroid is doing unless he has those ... 

If you don’t have them I’d go for a quick set of bloods done at your GP  surgery  so you have the results to take to  Endo .

Mx🌹

• Posted

Hi Kerry075,

I just read your post. I believe Thyroid, anemia and low b12 are all connected. I have PA(Pernious Anemia. My stomach is unable to store or distribute b12) I have to have injections twice a week. Anyhoo, I was just diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I'm still waiting for Endio appt. I'm taking Proprananol. It has saved me. I was so sick. Hot all the time, nightsweats, fast heart rate, talked too fast ect... I have lost too much weight in my case.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.