Just being nosey!

Posted , 9 users are following.

But first:  Merry Christmas and a healthier 2018 to all fellow sufferers.

1:  What pain killers have helped most with your pain?

2:  Have ANY creams relieved your pain?

I can’t take any pain killers except cocodamol (stomach problems) but it is advised not to take them over long periods.  I must!  I’ve been taking them for over 4 years.  I limit them to 3 per day as I also have PMR and Osteoporosis (also BP & high colesterol) which all need tablets (I rattle)!

I feel guilty taking so many tablets but I can’t cope otherwise.  Any natural remedies anyone?  I follow quite a strict diet, am not overweight, but my general health is getting me down.  I’m not depressed, thank goodness, but would just like to cope better.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Constance

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I find Ibuprofenis  the only painkiller that helps . However, 2 weeks ago I had a cortisone injection in my knee - I walked out of the surgery painfree . It's been amazing , I've still got to be careful but after 4 years of my body going out of alignment due to the left knee  I feel reborn ! My posture is coming back I've started doing strengthening exercises . Life is feeling good again .  I wish they'd done this 4 years ago . 

• Posted

I’ve been taking cortisone tablets for over 5 years.  I don’t know whether injections would help!😏  I also don’t know where they would start as I have polyarthritis (hands, wrists, elbows, hips, knees and ankles)!!  Very aggressive!

Still, good to hear you are feeling so well.  Keep it up!🌲🍾🍸

• Posted

I can't tolerate any codeine (I faint!) so I now take Naproxen twice a day with stomach protector and up to 8, though usually 6, paracetamol. At night I take a small dose of Amitriptyline. My pain is manageable on this. Sometimes I use Ibuprofen cream on my foot which helps. For my back I have Lidocaine patches which I wear if I know I'm going to be sitting a lot. They have been a lifesaver for me. Happy Christmas to all 🎄🎆🎉

• Posted

Hi Constance,

Merry Christmas to you and your family too!  You are not being nosey--you are just looking for suggestions from fellow sufferers which is what we all hope for.   Sorry to hear you have to deal with so many conditions that need treatment.   I liked biofreeze  gel in the past.    

I couldn't tolerate MTX --I have RA and crohn's disease so that drug and my intestines didn't get along at all.  Jumped to a biologic since I live in US and we have an insurance that will pay.   So pain is minimal now but the drugs have scary side effects but I chose to proceed with first Humira--had bad reaction on that and now tolerate Cimzia quite well.   I can't take NSAIDS due to age and crohn's .  Trial and error for everyone re. pain control .  Best of luck to you and may 2018 hold promise of better pain control

Gloria  

• Posted

I have OA everywhere EXCEPT my elbows! I have a THR and need the other one done and have had 2 cervical surgeries because of OA. I currently take Ibuprofen 800mg 3x daily, 7.5-325 mg Vicodin 2x daily and I've tried the usual Ben-Gay, Icy Hot, Biofreeze and Tiger Balm which currently seems to be working a little bit.

I also use ice packs  (heat doesn't help me I don't know why).

I refuse to get injections but in order to get something stronger than Vicodin, my PCP has to refer me to a pain clinic where you have to practically get down on your hands and knees and cry and kick and beg for pain meds.

I will also be trying a salve called CBD 500mg Salve. It has some extracts of marijuana plant but not the medical strength. 

It's a shame that because of the widespread opioid addiction that plagues this country that people who desperately need pain medication, in order to have somewhat of a life, have to cry for it.

I wish you a healthier New Year!

• Posted

no painkillers help really if its acute I have taken Codiene ones but you can only take them for 4 days as they are addictive, ibuphrofen cream is good, also if you want a break from drugs, olbas oil is a good rub, also use the hot and cold treatment, so a bag of frozen peas wrapped in a teatowel, followed by hot water bottle, finishing with the frozen peas again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.