Just Curiousity of people on the Internet

Posted , 6 users are following.

So, this isn't about people general. No one specific, but what I was wondering is on social media (instagram, twitter, etc.) I see lots of depression, and self harming pages. I thought, why would anyone just parade this around. I was once depressed, and I never wanted anyone to know, I hide it. So why are these people at my school, and around the world in General just showing it off. One of my friends had one of these pages and I discovered it. The description said 0days clean, even though I was at their house, and slept their for the night. So I questioned them about it, and they said "I dont know" and we didnt talk at all for the rest of the morning. I just don't understand the logical thinking of any of it. So someone please explain.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

If someone attempts Suicide, It can effect mood and sometimes regret could this admitting the act be some for of cleansing.
  • Posted

Mass group therapy like this is as old as time itself. That so many people benefit from shared experience is testament to its value. Don't knock it. Like you I am a bit reticent about my depression and do not share readily, but I know from experience that keeping an open mind to its benefits can be literally life saving.

• Posted

It is a lot easier to discuss (online) than face to face.

People use anonymity if internet. A place where they can let go of what they can't say to people in their life. And you can hear the experience's of hundreds of thousands of people and not feel alone in your struggles.

This is why I do it anyway.

• Posted

i usually have no problem sharing anything about my illness. even some shocking things...i do that because i want to always help someone listening to my story. someone who is shy and afraid of there own ilness may be encouraged to relate and see that its okay to reach out for help. i believe we help eachother by making things easier for eachother.
  • Posted

Mental illness is a very lonely condition as many in Society cannot understand the problems we can have in Society and family in general cannot understand our feelings as people feel it is a sign of weakness

We need to educate those who do not understand

BOB

• Posted

To say someone clean are they not taking drugs

For the rest of above, there are many people around who are depressed they are all different.

The depressed feel their pain in a multitude of ways

• Posted

Would you hide your illness if it were physical, such as cancer? Would you be ashamed to reveal that you'd had broken your leg?

Mental illness can be vastly relieved by simply having an outlet to express how you feel, so not only can talking about it help people to cope but, unlike physical illness or injury, it can actually cure as well.

• Posted

Hi Kojax. People are expressing more online because it is anonymous.  It is easier than facing another human being and admitting one's illnesses. Also, the internet is right at our fingertips - easily accessible. It seems there are many reporting such things because the internet has a global reach, rather than just the area where one lives where people are more guarded about their personal lives. The fact that people are inclined to hide their illness goes to the stigma involved in mental conditions. About 1 in 4 people will suffer drepression at some stage in their lives. For some it can be a permanent fixture, like trying to run in thigh deep mud - exhausting and futile. Depression and suicidal ideation is very serious, and it is not unusual that the person who appears bubbly/joking all the time may be masking a depressive illness. I know - I was one of them. Exposing the illness changed the way people treated me. Suddenly I was possibly dangerous, violent and a liar with no history and no evidence - when it suited their purposes. Terrible burden to carry on top of illness that doesn't just "go away" like a cold, or mend like a broken arm. Had to accept that many people have a fear about what they don't understand and there's nothing more complex than the human mind. You soon find out who your friends are. 

• Posted

i have always felt that if people find out you have a depression they can get away with being unpleasent attitudes and they feel we are weak willed. At my old address it was like that and it really used to get my goat. Even sometimes some please can feel they can get away being more strick with Mental Health Patients

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.