just depressed

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 57 and have developed a multitude of health issues that have just plain put me in a state of perpetual depression. I am on antidepressants and they do help some but not enough. The only reason that I continue on is to support my wife. While none of my health issues are terminal at this time, they will likely cut my life short and require a lot of regular doctor visits which just increase depression. It's so hard to drum up the motivation to work and be around people. I don't want to socialize with anyone except my wife, not even my kids and grandkids. I am a Christian but even with that, I am still not good emotionally or spiritually

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Greg. I hear your pain depression is a very difficult thing to live with on a daily basis. Two years ago I went in for a big surgery but it was non invasive, I woke up and was in horrible pain. The surgeon had botched the surgery three surgeons had worked on me for hours and the third one they called in saved my life. When I finally got home and for the last two years I concentrated on getting well. But depression encompassed me. I am just now starting to feel physically strong and the depression is lifting. I am taking antidepressants

Any time we are effected physically I have found it makes my depression worse but I just decided that it was normal talked to one or two close friends and kept telling myself that I was exactly where I was supposed to be. 

Not many answers but I can identify with you. Please feel free to keep writing to us we care about each other. Diane. 

• Posted

I feel very strongly that drs do not take into account the amount of depression caused by physical problems.  They treat the physical ones then we are left with the psychological ones to deal with.   I have had to have three procedures in the last three years and all have left me with consequences i would not wish on anyone.   It makes life difficult to just get by and i have tried some antidepressants but had no success so far.

i know i was well and functioning normally before all of this started, i did not expect to be left like this with ongoing symptoms.

i see you have found antidepressants helpful, can i ask what they gave you?

• Posted

My red once to Greg Ann was meant for you. Sorry. Diane. 
    • Posted

Yes, it is very hard just getting out of bed everyday  At least I start most days at the gym, but that's only to stay as healthy as possible so in attempts to outlive my wife so she'll be taken care of.  

• Posted

The first one that I tried was Prosaz and now I am on Lexapro and it is working well for me. But everyone is different. I agree with you I guess the medical docs just aren't trained to heal the whole person. But it's a shame. Diane. 

• Posted

Great devotioal book for Christians is "Streams in the desert" by L.B. Cowman, so encouraging for us Christians who I think go through more trials and tribulations than non believers. Jist a short read like 1 page per day. It's my lifesaver!! Will pray for you😊

• Posted

Thanks Ezekiel.  My wife actually has that book.  I'll have to check it out.  Glad to hear that it provides you with a lift.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.