Just diagnosed

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have just been diagnosed with TN.

2 weeks ago i developed what i thought was toothache. It was a bad ache in my lower left jaw.

Went to the dentist who said it was referred pain from a cavity in my top left tooth. Had the tooth extracted.

Pain didn't go, and became worse while i was on holiday. I had to come home early and go to the hospital. The pain is stabing and in my temple, forehead and jaws on the left.

some stabbing pains in my left ear too.

Hospital diagnosed TN and gave me tramadol and diclofenac tablets.

Do i just take these and see how it goes? Or do i go to my GP anyway?

My heart goes out to all TN sufferers - it's horrendous.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hHi samt i just wondered if you did go to your gp in the end? did the dicloflex work at all? i was given these by my gp when i had bad side affects fron Tegratol. it didnt ease my headaches though starting Gabapentin has been better up untill now.
  • Posted

hi, if it is TN you need to go back to your GP, the best sort of meds are anticonvulsants, they sort they prescribe for epilepsy, i am on gabapentin, as well as dihydrocoedine and diclofinac. your gp then need to refer you to a neurologist, TN is an horrendous illness, and needs to be sorted, if your GP doesnt help, you need to keep on to him, some of these episodes can last a while, and may well come back. the best site for this illness is TNA.org.uk, lots of forum adviceon there, hope you are pain free soon

smiler xx

• Posted

Hi, mine sounds simular to your experiance, went to the dentist told needed 2 fillings, after it was done, pain was really bad, so went back, but she could not see anything wrong, so told me to go to the doctors as thought it could be neuralgia. Saw GP was put co-codamol and diclofenac 50mg 3 times a day, but these are not doing anything, have been told to go back to see him if no better in a week, so have another appontment on Tuesday. Looking back the pain I am having now, it is the pain I had when I thought I had tooth problems, looks like I had my filling re-done for no reason now. My pain is in lower left jaw, temple, and a little on the top jaw, with discomfort in my left ear now and again.
  • Posted

You must make sure that you have a pain management plan sorted out with your doctor. Good anti convoltion tablets and something that can knock you out when you get an attack.

Im not sure if this is the same for everyone, but i find that if i can put myself to sleep then i can't feel the pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.