Just Diagnosed

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello I am 28 years old and have just been diagnosed it appears i must have had a while as i was oringinally told 9 months they thought it was herpes. I no longer have a labia minora and it has damaged my clitarol hood which has decreased my enjoyment of sex. I have been presribed a steriod cream and epiderm to wash with but have no real results after 6 days. Has anyone had any experience of this or have any advice?

Thanks

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hiya,

I too have just been diagnosed with this so I'm keen to find out about the success (or otherwise) of the steroid cream.. I've also read that there is no cure for this and that the cream will help 'alleviate' the symptoms. Does that mean that any 'shrinkage' will/could continue despite using the cream? Does anyone know??

Jen

• Posted

i think i've had it for about year after i burned myself down there with hair removal creamand subsequently had the biggest yeast infection one could imagine, now i have these little cracks that open up once in a while , canesten usually works but i find the next time i get a little irritation down there they open up again, doctor has told me its just thrush which i now know is bull s*&%.

does this sound similar to any of your experiences?

i'm really really scared :?

• Posted

Hi, try giving Paladin cream a go, quite a few of us on here use it and it heals (with ongoing use) to the extent of no longer having to use steroid cream (i was diagnosed back in april after using steroid for a year, i started on the paladin about 2-3 months ago and haven't needed steroid since which can only be good).

It is a nappy cream and i ordered mine directly from the US where it is made but a fellow sufferer on this forum has recently imported a batch and it can now be bought in the uk thru ebay. worth a try. this is so hard with so little research and basic knowledge on the condition but controlling flare-up's is the first priority and this works for me and is completely safe.

all the best with your treatments, we're here for each other too, i've found this site invaluable

xx

• Posted

Hi lida and girls, I too have not required steroid cream since using paladin but I must say that if you do get white and razor cuts or sores start then do use your steroid for a couple of days very sparingly and then back to just the barrier cream...... I cannot answer regarding clitoral problems correcting themselves as I too have lost a great deal of my clitoris which appears to be almost hidden...It works still!!! but I think that if we keep the symptoms at bay and in my case, as I think with others, try and work through the mental barrier, regarding sex, and use our equipment. My consultant says that that is the best curer of keeping symptoms at bay......Im not convinced yet!!!!!! take care

ilda could you contact me at name plus hotmail email.

• Posted

[quote:8cf52bd7b0=\"sandowngirl \"]Hi lida and girls, I too have not required steroid cream since using paladin but I must say that if you do get white and razor cuts or sores start then do use your steroid for a couple of days very sparingly and then back to just the barrier cream...... I cannot answer regarding clitoral problems correcting themselves as I too have lost a great deal of my clitoris which appears to be almost hidden...It works still!!! but I think that if we keep the symptoms at bay and in my case, as I think with others, try and work through the mental barrier, regarding sex, and use our equipment. My consultant says that that is the best curer of keeping symptoms at bay......Im not convinced yet!!!!!! take care

ilda could you contact me at **** email.[/quote:8cf52bd7b0]

I found Paladin great too....It soothes and stops the terrible itching.I got it on a site called ****. I have had LS for many years and have got through by listening and trying different things...Dermovate did nothing for me but is so good for others so I know its trial and error with products but paladin is gentle so it does for me. As for sex helping...I did have a mental problem about it long ago but I am past the flame of passion girls so cant comment now. I would say if you can talk to someone about any mental barriers it has to be a good thing for you younger girls...take care Betty x

[color=blue:8cf52bd7b0][size=9:8cf52bd7b0][b:8cf52bd7b0][i:8cf52bd7b0](Sorry but Patient Admin have removed either a telephone number, an email address, a postal address and or web address, from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum.

If you wish to communicate directly with people, you should register, for free, with the forum (click Register in the menu list below the green banner above). You and other registered members will then be able to communicate with each other via Private Messaging (PM) or e-mail.) [/i:8cf52bd7b0][/b:8cf52bd7b0][/size:8cf52bd7b0][/color:8cf52bd7b0]

• Posted

The postings on this site have been extremely helpful to me after I was diagnosed with LS. So I must give my own experience since diagnosis in July this year, which has been such a relief, and I hope might help others.

For sometime - about two years - I had itching and soreness to varying degrees, and sometimes really bad inflammations. Doctor thought thrush, but Canestan did'nt get rid of it, and then she thought that it might be LS, but she did'nt know much about it and sent me to a vulva clinic. Meanwhile, I was getting more uncomfortable, itching and I felt I was changing shape around the labia and clitorus, and there was increasing whiteness in the skin, a sort of leatheriness in touch, and some cracking - and also had problems with cracking of anus. By the time I got to the clinic there were ulcers, which were opening up and peeing was agony. The two doctors I saw - one a gaeny and the other a dermatologist - were very sympathetic, and said how awful it looked, but said it would clear with treatment. It was such a relief to have it recognised I could have kissed them!

They put me on Dermovate steroid cream to be applied in quite large dollops twice a day for two months. It took about two - three weeks for the ulcers to die down and heal, and from there on it got better and better. After about 6 weeks I started applying the cream once a day and stopped altogether at two months. After another month went back to clinic and it was clear - I felt I had regained my proper shape, there was no swelling or skin cracking - cracking of the anus has also improved - but the doctor said there was slight fusing of my clitorus, but did not think very seriously - and discharged me.

I, like others here on the site, was a bit worried about using so much steroid cream, but was assured that the amount and frequency I would need would cause no harm. I was advised that I might get bouts of inflammation and itching again at any time as it cannot be got rid of completely, and if so just to apply the cream again for a few days. In addition during the whole of this time I have not been using soap around there at all, using only an aquaeous cream to wash. Whether this has helped I'm not sure, but I continue to not use soap just in case.

I have had slight itching a couple of times but have slapped on the cream and its gone. It's all such a relief to be free of it, even if only for the moment. Oh, I forgot to mention ... I'm 63 and sexually active.

• Posted

Hi, I have just been diagnosed with LS. Had my menopause early at 39, am now 55, so my symptoms were brushed under the carpet as 'post menopausal dryness. I've been treated with oestrogen cream, canestan and tablets for thrush, and antibiotics for vulval sores. Although just diagnosed i've had cracking, ulceration, itching and bleeding on and off for the last 18months. Also think thickened labia on one side and narrower vagina all to do with this. Think this may have started after 2 being 'cut' with each child, I have 2 children aged 24 and 28. The itching initially started over the scar sites. It was picked up after my wound would'nt heal properly after recent gynae surgery. Also affected skin round the anus, doctor said it was in a 'figure of eigth around vulva and anus. 3 months of dermovate and still'plaquey' according to gynae. Referred me to Dermatologist who took one look at it and said 'LS'. Although reading about LS I think is ugh! at least now I know what it is I can begin to tackle it. Due a biopsy in a couple of weeks on ulcerated bit, but really painful just to pee, but thankfully not bleeding and itch is controlled. Ive tried germolene, sudocrem, metanium and drapolene as barreirs. I am wondering about aloe vera. I have a couple of plants in the greenhouse. When split, the leaves ooze thick gooey aloe vera gel, at least it hasn't got added preservatives or perfume in and should be a good barrier and healer. I have used it for burns with success. I'll let you know how effective if is after a short trial. Any other suggestions welcome. I am also under a urologist for urinary problems, he thinks some of my problems may be due to LS.
  • Posted

Hiya, I have read about pure aloe vera gel being used for LS . I've got a good sized Aloe plant myself, so would be keen to know how you get on. Like yourself ,i've tried numerous products that we read about on-line. I don't want to try another new one just at the moment while things seem to be calm down there. My whiteness is also around the scar sites (stitches) left from giving birth. I'm convinced that trauma to the area has alot to do with LS. Netty x
  • Posted

Sorry to delay info on aloe vera. Just had biopsy stitches out today, so going to give it a go tomorrow. Will keep you posted
  • Posted

Hi Jennypenny, I was Diagnosed 2 years ago with LS. I have been prescribed dermovate steroid cream. I use this once or twice a week unless I get a bad flare up then I use it more often,say every day for a week or so , this usually settles it down for a good few weeks. As for the shrinkage this does still happen even useing the steroid. I was referred to a gynocologist as sex was vertually impossible and painful, she explained that I would need to use a dialator twice a day for ten minuits a time this helps to keep the vagina stretched and more comfortable. I do find that it does help but I do need to use it every day. They gave me six numbered one to six and you start off on number one until that is comfortable then move on to number two and so on, then keep using number six. Hope this advice is helpful to you JULIA 1944
  • Posted

[quote:d4878e5eb7=\"NettyM \"]Hiya, I have read about pure aloe vera gel being used for LS . I've got a good sized Aloe plant myself, so would be keen to know how you get on. Like yourself ,i've tried numerous products that we read about on-line. I don't want to try another new one just at the moment while things seem to be calm down there. My whiteness is also around the scar sites (stitches) left from giving birth. I'm convinced that trauma to the area has alot to do with LS. Netty x[/quote:d4878e5eb7]
  • Posted

hi could the lady that was going to try the aloe vera tell me how you went on please

• Posted

Hello,

I have had this for many years undiagnosed at first. It all started in my mouth, (lichen planus) and went right down below quickly. My clitoris is now non existent and my labia minora disappeared long ago. Like many I have tried multiple tricks and treatment and have finally found a routine that seems to help keep it at bay at least for now.

I put the original Dettol in my bath, ( a capful) nothing else. I do not use perfumed soaps or creams down below. I use Dettol anti bacterial wipes each morning to clean external vagina area. Once a month I use a vaginal douche which is a diluted solution of hydrogen peroxide 6% using a Turkey baster and use Elastoplast wound healing cream if the warning itch starts. It stops it in its tracks. I take Yakult probiotics daily........Oh and I am completely celibate. Hope this helps .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.