Just Diagnosed

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have just been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia after being in limboland since 1990.  I am not quite sure how I feel. Been prescribed Amitriptyline but it seems to give me palpitations and a dry mouth. Is this normal.  I seem to have been given the diagnosis and abandoned as apparently the hospital do not see fibro patients and they are discharged back to their GP. So many questions - for starters should I tell my employers?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi maggers i was the same 1990 and confirmed last aug/sept but if I am honest not much has changed apart from the fact they give u the famous amitriptyline

I did say to my employers and they have been great but I didn't say right away it was only because I had a bad flare in November and was sent to health management I still don't say 2 anyone what I have as so many people don't believe in the illness and think it is a mental health issue

Do I think it is?????

I can honestly say I don't know I have some issues with regard to eating and weight gain - anger issues- very low days although I wouldn't say depressed as that is not a day 2 day thing but constant

Today I bit the bullet and started seeing a councillor so only time will tell expensive but if it helps then it will be well worth it

• Posted

Hi Maggers, yes it can be a side affect of your meds,

I have not heard that rheumatology are not seeing Fibro patients but I've not been called back for 16 months and have had to make my own, I was told they would see me in six months but no appointment came, this is not unusual its happend several times, this can make you feel as if your not important which is the last thing we want,

When your first diognosed it is scary and should be offered support,

Your not alone on this site, plenty of advice help and support.

Positive thoughts sent your way.

• Posted

I was diagnosed about 12 years ago and given amitriptyline, it does cause a dry mouth not sure about palpitations though. You are pretty much left to your own devices after diagnosis and every pain you see the doctor about is automatically put down to fibromyalgia unfortunately. I discovered there was a fibromyalgia info group running for 10 weeks at a hospital 15 miles away and my gp was okay to refer me to a rheumatologist who then referred me to the group. It wasn't the most informative group but it was nice to meet people in the same boat. Good luck, D
  • Posted

Thanks Chris and Leona. The consultant I saw  said Rheumatology do not see  Fibro or osteoarthritis patients they are just discharged back to GP. Perhaps it varies from area to area. Scary stuff this, but at least there is support here. Many thanks
  • Posted

Hello Maggers,

So what area do you live in? It would be interesting to know how different areas deal with this. i am in Hampshire, it seems the Doc refers to Rheumotology to diagnose here. They send you back to Doc for treatment, and the pill of choice is Amitriptylene. It does give me a dry mouth but not palpitations.

Take care, Anne

• Posted

Palpitations are included under the rare side effects saying you should seek medical attention, so go back to your GP.

I didn't feel well taking it, actually made me feel depressed, which I wasn't before or after I stopped taking it. Though the reason I stopped was because it gave me stomach cramps.

• Posted

Hiya Maggers, dry mouth and palpitations seem to be a side effect..dry mouth for me..especially , I use an artificial saliva..mint taste..like a mouth moisturiser and alway have a bottle of water on my nightstand..I've been taking it for 16 years now..(had Fibro for over22 yrs) it's the oly prescription med I take and that gives me good nights sleep...numbs the pain..but I can only take it before bed..if I take during the day, I'm like a a zombie...great to chat...be blessed and have a good day..:-) xx
  • Posted

Thank you all so much for your input.  It was a new consultant I saw after 14 cancelled appointments - seems our local hospital cannot recruit and keep staff. Anne, I am in Surrey.   So grateful for being able to be in contact with those who really understand and live with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.