Just diagnosed

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi guys just been diagnosed with fibromyalgia  been experiencing muscle pain when washing my hair ,cleaning teeth ect and waking up in a morning feeling like I had been run over by a steam roller I also had a problem with my left eye it ached and wanted to close on a night on its own, I was told that my symptoms were menopause but then I went to another Dr and he said f m. Since I have been diagnosed my symptons seem to have got worse pain in my arms and elbows like a burning feeling and I now have pain in my hands and a burning feeling in the top of my feet , does anyone else have pains that change places ie one day it's my legs then my knee then next day it's in my shoulder and neck and I'm also suffering from migraines. I am on gabapentin 600 at the moment and they haven't done a thing for the pain what's everyone else tried and has anyone had drugs that have worked. Had a really bad day yesterday and felt sorry for myself I had a good cry but have pulled myself together and realise this is my life now so just have to get on with it I do count myself lucky I'm not suffering with fatigue badly don't know how you cope with that I just feel a bit tired at times but still walk my dog 4 times a week I am not letting it beat me 😒

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. I was just diagnosed on Thursday. I too have had my symptoms change suddenly, which baffled me. I was sooooo surprised how fast the pain changed locations, a week earlier i was at the ER with a new type of pain migraine. I have had migraines for over 15 years, but the pain changed areas. I also suffered from chronic neck and shoulder pain ( extremely bad ) but then developed skin tenderness, tmj, and severe anxiety. I was diagnosed with arthritis at age 19, in my ankles, which i attributed to my years of competing in horse events and training. When i got diagnosed with fb, i had my usual pains, the next day i woke up with horrible leg muscle pain down the back of my legs, like i worked out way to hard. Tuff pill to swallow living with this the rest of my life. Wish you the best and lots of info and support.
    • Posted

Hi Emily I know how you feel about the migraines I have suffered with them all my life and I'm 52 now (feel more like 80) I had them under control until a couple of weeks ago taking beta blockers then they came back with a vengeance as if we aren't in enough pain with the fb. Scrap what I said about not having the burning feeling because today I am burning from my waist right down to my ankle!! What more can be thrown at us I just hope a week in the sun helps with the symptons. No one can no how it feels unless they have it there selves that's why forums like this are fab 😀
  • Posted

Hello kitten,

Your pains and symptons do sound familiar, welcome to the fibro club! it's a tricky condition, I have had it for a few years, diagnosed a couple of years ago. My pain does move around, exactly as you have described. I suffer with the fatigue quite badly too. Luckily for me, not the migraines. I have been on amitriptylene since my diagnosis, but am attempting to come off it now. The reason being that it does not help that much with the pain, more the sleep, but makes it difficult for me to get up in the morning. Also the side effects, dry eyes and dry mouth and I have put on a stone in weight. I just need to see if it is really helping, I know some people are on truckloads of meds and still suffering.

I hope my post has been a little bit helpful, this is a long journey for all of us fibro warriors, and we all have to get used to the 'new normal'

Take care, Anne

• Posted

Hi Anne thanks for your reply having a bad day burning all down one side so spoke to soon about not having the burning feeling. It's very hard to keep positive when you know you have it for life apparently Prozac is ment to be good and it's not a weight gainer drug I have tried amitriptylin but couldn't cope with the dry mouth been on gapapentin for 8 days now done nothing for me so far but back at the dr in a couple of weeks so will see what he suggests then 😀
  • Posted

Walking the dog is good.  My consultant when diagnosing me said positive mental attitude is a must.  We all have down days but we have to give fibro a kick in the pants occasionally and carry on.  I don't take any drugs as  nothing seemed to work without side effects so I have taken the alternative route with hynotherapy, massage, no refined sugars or gluten and cooking everything fresh from scratch.  I am not pretending it's easy but I have managed so far to keep working and looking after the dogs/house etc.  It is a case of turning a blind eye to the housework if you are not feeling up to it. It will still be there tomorrow, pace yourself and get to know what you can and can't manage and don't forget it is ok to use the word "no".  That is the bit I find hardest when people want something of me which will leave me drained.  It's been a steep learning curve. thank goodness for the folk on here.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.