Just diagnosed

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi! I was just diagnosed with autoimune hepatatis a few days ago at 37 years old. I was given 40mg of Prednisone daily and I just feel lost with lots of doubts. Can I live the rest of my life with this condition? Please share your experiences.

Thanks

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hey Marie!

So sorry to hear about your condition! Hoping you feel better soon! I've been on 50mg of prednisone for 2 weeks now and will finish in 6, and if side effects are a concern, I can honestly say I have experienced very minimal to none. They say it's meant to make you eat like crazy, but I've actually lost 5 kgs since starting it! This could be because of my diet and exercise schedule though. Water retention is also a big one with prednisone, but grab yourself a diuretic from the chemist and keep your salt intake to a minimum and you should be safe from moon face. I have suffered a little insomnia, but half a sleeping pill usually helps with that. Prednisone so far has been very managable for me, it's all about a positive mindset and healthy lifestyle! I hope you're on the mend!

Liv xx

• Posted

Hi!

Thanks for your answer. For how long have you been diagnosed?

Also they started me on 40mg daily and everything I read says 60 mg when starting treatment.

• Posted

You have posted in a general forum about steroids rather than one about AIH. I can't comment on the condition but do look up the British Liver Trust which gives advice about treatment.

I have a different autoimmune condition which also requires me to take Prednosolone from time to time. It's a powerful but necessary drug which does its job although not without side effects.

It can be very daunting when the doctors tell you you have a chronic disease but the word to focus on is management - and from what I have read, AIH can be managed.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.