Just Diagnosed

Posted , 7 users are following.

I went to the Dr last week who then sent me to A&E for an xray.  I had broken a bone in my foot.  They told me at the hospital it's very likely I have Osteoporosis.  As there was lots of white around my ankles.  I am going back to see my GP on the 24th of this month.  My main concern is that I have two physical jobs.  I clean a NHS clinic for 3 hours.  Then I go to work in a kitchen for 4 and a half hours.  Both jobs are quite physically demanding.  I just wondered if I will be able to continue working.  I am 53 years old.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I'm not medically trained so it wouldn't be right for me to answer your  question re working - all I can supply is my own experience.

Once your foot bone has healed I see no reason why you shouldn't continue working in your present jobs.   If osteoporosis is diagnosed and if you have it in your spine too - just be very careful about lifting heavy objects (preferably don't). I have advanced osteoporosis in my spine, I ran my own business, on my feet all day,  but it didn't stop me working well into my 60s. 

I don't look upon osteoporosis as an illness, just an inconvenience. I still go to the gym regularly, walk a lot, go to Yoga classes and work in the garden.  Listen to your body, if anything hurts -  stop!

All the best, I hope your foot heals quickly. 

• Posted

Mary i also am recently diagnosed with osteoporosis i had pain in upper back 1yr ago is still there but following first exrays to say i have multiple fractures of thorasic vertibrae i was sent for scan to confirm diagnosis put on vd and ac i still cant believe i am still in pain gp just said thats osteoporosis i refered myself to phisio and bought myself a back mould i bought a walking stick to help me during pain and the reason i joined this group was for information as nobody seems interested in nhs
    • Posted

I looked around a bit to see what you have posted, but didn't find much. Your situation sort of mimics mine. Do you mind sharing your t-scores with me? And what were you put on? I got the vitamin D, what does 'ac' stand for? This is quite a struggle, isn't it. I would love to hear more from you. Thanks!

• Posted

My T score is -2 and my gp prescribed Vitamin D and also Alendronic Acid
    • Posted

-2 is not osteoporosis but osteopenia which does not require AA. In Australia it is not prescribed for osteopenia. Vitamin K2 is good and there are other things you can do as well. Osteopenia does not necessarily lead to osteoporosis. 

Prunes and things like avocados and bone broth will help as well.

If you can walk that helps too as it is weight bearing.

Some on here have improved their tscores with vitamins, foods and exercise.

• Posted

Thankyou Kathleen my first stop will be to my gp to question the diffirences and this debilitating Alendronic Acid
    • Posted

That was my t-score in September 2015.  In October 2016 it was -1.6 and I never accepted any of the osteoporosis drugs, I improved my bone density completely on my own with exercise and nutrition.  I continue with the regimen and my next scan is recommended in three to five years so I don't want to backslide at all.

• Posted

The issue may be when one is on long term steroid treatment they tend to overreact with the osteoporosis threat and use AA as a preventative drug.  That's why it was recommended to me but, as you know, I refused.

• Posted

They can't diagnose osteoporosis by guesswork. You need a DEXA scan to be sure. Just as many people break bones who do not have osteoporosis as those who do.

They cannot make assumptions like that you must have the density scan.

• Posted

Kathleen i saw my GP today my new T score is -2.9 thoracic vertebrae and -2.9 hip area so she agrees with VK2 but says although there is no evidance of bone healing there is evidence of bone prevention withAA so i need to think hard about it all
    • Posted

Of course the decision is yours. My scores are much worse especially the back ones. My worst one is -4.3 but it still does not convince me to take any of the drugs. 
    • Posted

Yes, she did, but after careful consideration on my part, I rejected the idea.

I have a very good relationship with my GP and she trusts my decisions

She has told me that half her patients have also decided not to take any of the drugs.

She knows I can research and I have even given her a piece of information that she did not know and she passed this on to other doctors.

It was very important because there is a test one can have to check if it is safe to have a tooth extracted after being on AA or other drugs for three years or more.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.