Just diagnosed

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi been diagnosed with R A since January just started treatment with Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate 10 days ago, l was told it takes 12wks to kick in, my finger joints in right hand today are swollen and my finger tips have severe tingling is this normal

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi George. Sorry you have been diagnosed. I have had RA for 11 years, and good results from my meds generally. I recently went on to Hydroxychloroquine as a maintenance dose as I was getting flare ups to my wrists. I had about 3 weeks at 400mg a day, then reduced to 200mg to date. I felt 90% relief after 3 weeks. I hope this helps. Rest your hand as much as possible. Alternate heat and cold pads for the swelling. Take care and good luck
  • Posted

Hi George , i can share my experience. I had severely swollen finger joints and lots of pain and weakness, was advised to avoid all grains, soy, sugar, nightshade vegetables and citrus. Did so and within one week all pain and swelling were gone. I know all the doctors will tell you there's no correlation between RA and diet ,but my experience proves otherwise.

• Posted

“Normal” can be different fo all of us George. RA does not express the same way for everyone. So this could be normal for you.  

Should you be concerned? I don’t think you should be concerned about the Hydroxychloroquine being involved. This doesn’t sound like a drug side-effect, more like an RA symptom. Joint swelling - RA. Tingling - I would say RA too, as the swelling might be putting pressure on a nerve. 

From my experience, while my DMARDs were still kicking in, along with the pain, and swelling I would get numb/tingling at various limbs. Mostly in the arms, from below the shoulders or below the elbows, or below the wrists, or on the sides of my hands, depending on where I had inflammation, what I was doing or how I was resting. 

I suggest some gentle water-based exercise may be of help.

If you don’t have these already, see your Dr or rheumatologist about what pain relief and NSAID (anti inflammatory drug) you can be prescribed. A NSAID might dampen things down enough to help you through while you start to find what DMARD/s could work.

• Posted

Could I ask which dmardswirk for you and any side effects you've had xthanks

• Posted

Hi Emily, click on my name, I have stuck some history in my Patient profile so I don’t have to keep writing it on the discussions. If there’s anything in there of interest let me know.
  • Posted

Hi George, being diagnosed with RA was definitely a learning curve for me and I presume many others, what with endless blood test, different drugs, I was diagnosed about 15 years ago RA Seronegative, it started in the big finger right hand followed by knuckles, wrists, both hands, right hand worse, ankles, right knee, hips sometimes, trouble walking, on Sulfasalazine drug 15 years tried Methotrexate couldn't tolerate it, now on biological drug Benepali works great and no side effects, best I've been with RA, sorry to paint a bleak picture, but you can live with it just getting the right medication, admittedly some have it very severe, good luck, hope your medication works ok.

• Posted

Hi George, I was diagnosed in Dec of last year. Hit me hard and came on fast. 3 rounds of prednisone, ongoing methatrexate and Humira and I am greatly improved. Still have stiffness in several fingers but pain has subsided. Also have numbness and tingling in left hand similar to carpal tunnel but improving with ultrasound and cortisone injection in wrist. Bottom line is we get better with right drugs. Oh, I also decreased my sugar intake.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.