Just diagnosed

Posted , 14 users are following.

I was just diagnosed with PMR a week ago.  I was put on 20mg and started taking that 3 days ago.  How long does it take for the steroids to start working, and once they do start to work does the pain ever go away completely? 

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Dennis, I was put on 10 mg initially and only got "some" relief. My rheum doc upped it to 14 and I am in much better shape after only 2 days at that level.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hello Dennis. I was diagnosed with PMR last September and started on 15 mg it took me a good week before all my symptoms disappeared , my doctor was surprised as he told me that all my pains would disappear within 48 hours. I am now down to 9 mg . So hang in there give the Pred a little longer  and good luck. 

• Posted

I wonder if you had had 20mg to start with you would have had a faster reaction. I suppose we will never know!
    • Posted

Yes my doctor did tell me that his starting dose has always been 20mg but as I am so small he thought 15 mg would be better ! 
  • Posted

Dennis , from my experience, I basically had relief within hours however, I was still awakened with reduced stiffness. I was told to split the dose. That worked for me until I was comfortable with a lower dose, then once daily.

I have been on prednisolone for 2.5 years now.  Keep confident , it does work.

Marg

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.