Just diagnosed. Advice please.

Posted , 4 users are following.

For the past few years I've been suffering with extreme exhaustion. My gp said it was my lifestyle. A new gp decided to check my thyroid and confirmed its underactive. I thought after a couple of weeks taking 25mg levothyroxine I'd be feeling like my old self but I'm still tired. Today I spent all day in bed. How long until I feel better?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I should have mentioned I've been taking it for 5 weeks now

• Posted

acjb007, If you were diagnosed using a TSH you don't know any more than before the test. It is not a DIAGNOSTIC test. You may just need Selenium if your body isn't converting your T4 to T3 which is how your body uses your thyroid hormone. This nonsense with wait , wait, wait and have TSH after TSH is cheap gimmick test that provides ZERO diagnostic information and has lead to much misery.

• Posted

TSH is used as a screening test, not a diagnostic test. It is only uselful if it shows as elevated. But tells you nothing if it does not show elevated, as thyroid disease does not always result in highTSH. It is the oldest of the thyroid tests. Many thyroid tests use antibody technology- they are notoriously unreliable.

It’s very important to have a doctor that does a clinical exam and considers your symptoms.

Many vitamin and mineral deficiencies can result in hypothyroid symptoms. Do a search for symptoms of magnesium deficiencies- they read almost exactly as hypothyroid symptoms.

Thyroid patients often find it’s more effective to troubleshoot their entire health, as medications are not the same as the thyroxin your body produces, and the meds have really bad side effects. 

• Posted

You should get a blood test in another month. Your body takes weeks to react to new meds or a change in dosage. They start you off on a low dose but you may need more which blood tests will show. Hang in there, it can take a while to find the right dose.
  • Posted

TSH is of course a diagnostic test and selenium goes not cure hypothyroidism. Get off your soapbox Cathy.
    • Posted

Being an abusive know it all is not helpful to anyone including yourself. A better background in Bio-Chem would be helpful before you start coming across as an expert. About 6 -7 months ago you asked if you could challenge me and I listen to what you had to say because I am an intelligent respectful person. The person on a soapbox is you.
  • Posted

Typical. Are you feeling worse than before the meds?  After three weeks, you should feel a little better. 

Step back, read the side effects and instructions that come with your prescription- that way you have a better chance of recognizing side effects when they happen. Side effects of meds are often similar to hypothyroid symptoms.

There are posts nearly every day, very similar to yours.  Please do read through the many posts in the thyroid and levothyroxin groups.

• Posted

It can take a few months to start feeling better.. I use the 5 second rule ( you tube it) and in some strange way it gets you out of bed.. I never spent the day in bed.. I have 3 dogs so no chance of that.. I'm a firm believer in the more you do the more you want to do.. it's a tough road no denying that but keep going pick x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.