Just diagnosed and feeling low

Posted , 4 users are following.

After several months of extreme fatigue, muscle ache, hoarse voice and forgetfulness, I have just been diagnosed with underactive thyroid. My test results have scared me so much (TSH=100, T4=1.1). I am on a low dose of Thyroxin (25mg) which my GP has suggested I need to build up gradually. How long before I can expect to start feeling better? sad

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

When you are really low they start you off slowly, nag though as they might speed things up. I waited about 2 months in between increases and like you started off on 25 but I was almost is a dopy state and looking back didnt seem to have the energy to even question anything. I eventually went up in small stages to 225 but back to 200 now and have put some weight back on unfortunately. Some people need more because they dont absorb it others are well on less so its more about what your body does with it than the amount

before diagnosis I had the terrible tiredness, being cold all the time, what seemed to be continual chest infections but the scariest was the weird mental issues, I wouldnt go into a shop if I hadnt been in before, handed back my debit card to a cashier as I was sure mine was blue and she tried to give me a green one even though my name was on it I swore I'd never seen it before. I wouldnt accept a £5 note another day as it looked 'different' and insisted on coins instead. Worse of all was I couldnt have a conversation without forgetting what I was talking about. Then started on the thyroxine, maybe I started to feel better a bit at about 75mg it was like something just switched but just getting diagnosed and knowing I didnt have alzheimers or something was a releif in itself. You will get better and notice little improvements all the time and eventually its just tablets that you have to take. I wish you all the best and hope those little tablets work as fast as they can for you. Take care

• Posted

Hi

I to had results like yours when first diagnosed last july but my doctor threw me in at the deep end and started me off on 100mcg!!! which is not the norm but I seemed to cope with that amount, I dont think I could have felt much worse at the time. I am about 70% better now still not much energy and aching and brain fog most annoying. I'm due to see an Endo next month as GP cant see why im still not 100%.

You will feel a lot better but it does take a long time as our bodies have been so depleated it takes time to replace what has been lost.

• Posted

I too have just been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, results similar to yours. However my GP started me on 50mcg and within 4 days I began to feel very unwell with vertigo, severe D&V, sweating and hot flushes and a lack of appetite. My doctor has now advised that I stop medication for 4 days and then resume on a lower dose of 25mcg.

Has anyone else had an experience similar to this?

• Posted

Hi,I had most of my thyroid out five yrs ago, because i had a goiter.I was put on 100mcg to start with, then after six weeks they put me on 200mcg, have been on these ever since.

I dont seem any better at all and my doc is refering me back to see endo.I have a lot of things going on which relate to my thyroids side effects, blurred vision, tiredness, lack of sleep, aches and pains you name it ive got it. Ive put on 4-5 stone in that time although have tried to diet,(slimming world) but after seven months i was still the same.

I had six months in hospital three yrs ago and now im almost sure this again was to do with thyroid problems too.

Ive had enough now and after seeing two doc s who wouldnt listen i spoke to a lady gp at my practise who is booking me in to see endo.

Ive read so much on the internet and learnt alot about the condition.

Its time doctors started to listen to us and up dated the thyroid test too.

We know ourselves when things are not right.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.