Just Diagnosed and Looking for Advice

Posted , 4 users are following.

So after nearly a year of tests I've been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. My test a couple weeks ago showed TSH: 0.005, T3: 14 and T4: 37. I've been referred to an endocrinologist, but yet to have my first appointment. My GP started me on 20mg carbimazole and within a couple of days I developed tonsillitis. Since then, I've been feeling worse than ever and and although the tonsillitis is gone, I'm still very unwell. Any advice on how to lessen this at all?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi kerberos, how long have you been taking Methimazole? I am asking because Methimazole only inhibits the (over)production of "fresh" thyroxine.  Your thyroid has been overproducing thyroxine for some time before you were diagnosed. Depending on your initial levels it will take some time to use up all the thyroxine stored in your blood stream. In my case, it took around 3 weeks to feel a bit better again. My dose was 30 mg per day and my initial FT4 was 61.6 pmol/L [10-20]. 

Hang in there. It will gradually get better. If you have trouble sleeping try to take your medication in the evening hours. Thyroid output peaks around 3 am. Avoid strenuous activities and rest a lot. 

Your endocrinologist will have to determine what the cause of your hyperthyroidism is. Make sure that your GP arranges a blood test at least a week before your appointment so that the endocrinologist can review your up to date levels. 

• Posted

Thank you. I am a month shy of 60 and was diagnosed with graves. It started with a swollen eye lid and luckily an orbital surgeon suggested blood tests after I had a brain scan. I am pleased they have come up with a diagnosis and the endocrinologist just put me on 30 mg daily of Methimazole .   After reading about graves I realize I'm not crazy. Hopefully my anxiety will decrease as the medicine kicks in and won't have bad side effects. Some people really seem to struggle. 

• Posted

After I started methimazole I still felt terrible. I had all of the typical symptoms and only my atenolol seemed to be helping my racing heart drop a bit. The methimazole didn't seem to be working. Obviously, it takes time to work, but my endocrinologist bumped me up 20 more milligrams a day. She also suggested I take them all at once, instead if every 8 hours. That has definitely helped, though I still don't feel like myself. She also suggested lots of snacks to keep my energy up since our metabolism is in overdrive. You could also look at supplements. Hyperthyroidism tends to make you deficient in a whole mess of vitamins and minerals. 

So make sure you:

Snack

See if you can increase your dose with your doctor

Vitamins and mineral supplements 

Try to power through, I know it is hard 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.