Just diagnosed and trying to deal with burning, itching and pain

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all just joined this group.  I am 70 years old and live in US.  I have been having vaginal burning and itching for the last two months.  First I was diagnosed with a UTI e coli and put on antibiotic.  Antibiotic caused a yeast infection and had to get medicine for that.  My urogist thought I might have lichen schlerosis so they did a biopsy on my labia.  Then they did a vaginal swab and had bacterial vaginitis and was put on flagyl.  Have been retested and no infections currently.  The biopsy is negative for lichen schlerosis which is good.  But I am suffering.  I have been diagnosed with vaginal atrophy and am so sore in my vagina and burning and itching.  I have just been started on Estrace.  I took it a couple of weeks ago for 5 days but had to stop as I was given Flagyl cream for the bacterial infection.  I am back on the estrace for 3 days now.  I find when I put the estrace in it burns and itches.  I don't know if this is normal in the beginning.  Is it supposed to burn in the beginning until you get used t it?  I am to use 0.01 gram per night for one to two weeks till I feel relieve.  Then twice a week.  How long does it take.  I asked if I can use vaginal moisturisers as well.  my Gyno told me after the two week period can be used on nights when I did not use the estrace.  Is there anything to use at same time as estrace to put in the vagina to just soothe the pain.  Help.  This is so depressing.  I have never heard of vaginal atrophy before.  Please give me input on things you have done that have helped.   

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Linda.  I am 75 and also have recently been diagnosed with vaginal atrophy.  I was put on Ovestin cream at first but found it burned me so much I was actually in tears. Then my doctor changed it to Vagifem pessaries which come with an applicator to insert in vagina it's easy to use.   They don't burn me but I'm still in lots of pain and soreness and my urethra is also sore and my urine burns too but apparently that's all part of this rotten symptom.  I've been told not to use anything else on myself to ease   the burning but what I do is keep a small drinks bottle filled with luke warm water and as I pee I pour it on myself down the toilet. I also use an icepack, even in bed, as that helps a bit.   I'm sorry I can't be more help to you as I'm also suffering it's been over two months now.  But if I find a way I'll put it on here but there are a lot of helpful people here too. 

• Posted

Hi Marion

i just posted to Linda...please read.  Are you taking the Vagifem 2x week?  It takes awhile to work.  Some need to take more Vagifem per week but you will need to ask your doctor about that. Some are taking 3 and some 5 a week.. 

Best,

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy  by coincidence I've seen my GP today and he's told me to use it every night for a week then see how it is to go back to twice a week.  Thank you. 

• Posted

Hi Linda

I am 65 and live in the US.  I was diagnosed with Atrophic Vaginitis years ago and Vagifem was recommended.  At the time I did not have symptoms so I made a big mistake and did not use the Vagifem!  Not good!  This past year I started to feel like I had UTI's some were but others not.  My GYN had me use Premarin or Estrace (I believe they are the same ) for two weeks then had me start with the Vagifem 2x a week.....Linda the Vagifem does take time, you must be patient.  It took me several weeks for me to feel almost normal again... If outside stings then he had me put a small amount of Estrace on my finger and apply it to the outside....only for a short time...for me several days. I am surprised your doctor didn't recommend the Vagifem to you (prescription only) doctors usually have samples for you to try.  Unfortunately we are susceptible to getting UTI's ecoli as the vaginal walls are thin.....important to not get constipated!  I have a problem with that so I have had several UTI's with too many antibiotics CIPRO...not good so try to avoid UTI's.  Have to drink lots of water.

i hope this helps Linda.  We are all here for each other....you are not alone.

best,

wendy

• Posted

Thanks for getting back to me.  I am also in US.  My doctor did not mention vagifem.  She is giving me the estrace to see how it works.  So far on it a week no improvement. It feels like the estrace causes me burning and itching.  That may be normal in the beginning I am told.  Most of my symptoms are vaginal, itching, burning and soreness.  Not so much on outside.  I have had urine culture and vaginal swab.    Previously had UTI and Yeast infection.  All tests now negative.  I am so depressed.  It hurts worse when I sit.  Did you have these same symptoms?  Thinking maybe I have vulvodynia instead.  I have another week of estrace every day then it is twic a week.  I go back to gyno next week.  I will ask abouyt vagefem.
    • Posted

Hi Linda. I just came across your post. I see that it's 4 months old. How are you feeling now?  I too have used premarin estragyn estriol compounded - all burned me. I'm back on Vagifem that I was previously using. - 3 days a week. I've had months wheee I feel normal but this past June I've had a flare up that doesn't want to leave. I can have a good day here and there but they're few  I go back to the urogyno in October 

I even tried coconut oil because I was swayed by all the good reports but it burned me too. VA is the pits!

• Posted

I know what you are going thru. Took 3 years of pain and Uti's to get a vaginal

Atrophy diagnosis. None of the creams helped me. Found the mona Lisa treatment on line. My gyn said it had good results and I did it. It changed my life. No more Uti's or pain. Go once a year for follow up. Insurance does not cover Goggle it. Good luck

• Posted

Hi and thanks for your response.  Was thinking of Mona Lisa but so expensive.  Wanted to try the creams first.  Dd you have to use the creams with the Mona Lisa.  My Urologist told me I may have to still use the cream even if I do the Mona Lisa.
    • Posted

I don't use creams at all anymore.  Mona Lisa is expensive but for the relief I think I would have sold my first born.  seriously it should be covered .. it is criminal it is not... because the suffering is terrible

• Posted

Hi I was interested in finding out about the Mona Lisa treatment here in the UK and saw that it costs £2,000 for the three treatments.   I think I'll carry on trying the vagifem for a while instead.  !!!

• Posted

I know. So expensive. Should be covered but as it's a women's issue we are left to suffer. I paid 2500 dollars and now it is more expensive

• Posted

Hello Linda,

Many of us have found that we need to take vagifem up to 5 or 7 nights a week. Once you feel much better you can taper it down to every other day and then 2 nights a week, or stay on 5 nights a week if that is what works for you. Local cream on the outside will help. Research Ovestin/Estriol if the estrace is not helpful. There are many helpful suggestions on this thread and others to do with VA on this forum and also many suggestions on a site called menopause matters dot co dot uk, that is chaired by the head of the British Menopause Society. It is very informative. 

Good luck. 

• Posted

The women on this site helped me so much when I was going through my pain and suffering… This seems to be the only place that we can discuss it and talk about it and don't feel like we're going crazy… I feel so blessed that I am OK now but I want all of you to be OK

• Posted

I am so depressed as I sit hear typing this.  I don't know if the soreness, burning an itching is causing this or I am having mood swings from the estrogen.  What were your symptoms before you were diagnosed.  Most of my discomfort is in the vagina not the area around.  Burning and itching and soreness.

• Posted

Hi KK. Could 5-7 times a week with Vagifem cause problems (bleeding). My doctor said 3x week but I feel it's not enough. I'm only seeing her in October 

• Posted

I don't think so Arlee but maybe others here are more knowledgeable than me on that. Sorry. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.