Just diagnosed and want to know what medication I need to take

Posted , 5 users are following.

I’ve recently been diagnosed with diverticular disease I have been suffering for 9 years I’ve had my gall bladder out and I need to get medication to stop this terrible pain 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Denise,

You have come to the right place for help from fellow sufferers!  Are you on an antibiotic for the flare up infection?  What has your Dr. told you?  How were you diagnosed for diverticulitis?  You will have help in your replies if you can give us more information.  Are you on a liquid diet?    Things will improve and you will get some answers on this forum.  While you wait for replies I suggest you go back and read the posts and answers of others new to this disease.  That is what I did when I was in so much pain.  Also drink plenty of water.  Use a heating pad on high on your abdomen, it helps.  Things will improve it just takes a little time and rest.  A liquid diet will help rest your colon and you will start to see improvement.

• Posted

Hi Georgie, thank you for your reply. It was thursdayjust gone I had the results so have to get in touch with my dr on Monday to see what they can do.  I had a flexible sigmoidoscopy on Thursday which is how I found out. I’m not in a liquid diet but could you help me in what that entales please. Yes the heat pad helps but just need to find out what I can and can’t do before I speak to my dr on Monday. Yes will drink plenty of water now to get through this .

• Posted

To get you through until Monday I would suggest you do clear liquids.  It will not hurt you at all and it will probably help.  Stay away from red jello as it comes out looking like blood and can be confusing but any other flavor is good.  Think chicken broth, tea, other clear soups and jello.  Also maybe some Gatorade.  These are things my Dr recommended when I was diagnosed.  Stay away from soft drinks.  The carbonation is not good.  Drink plenty of water and rest.  That is my suggestion to get you by until Monday.  You may even feel better Monday by not eating foods that need to be digested over the weekend.  When you talk to the Dr report what you have been eating.  After the liquid diet I progressed to a bland diet- think white- mashed potatoes,  white bread, soft white rolls, baked potato but without skin.  At this point you do not want to be eating any fiber.  No raw vegetables or raw fruit or red meat.  All are hard to digest.  You can have some applesauce after the liquid diet but for some reason it made my stomach hurt.  I did well with canned peaches and canned pears.  I really think the liquid diet first is your best bet.  I did that for several days and it really did help.  When you see your Dr you can ask about stomach spasm medicine. It helped me and I did not have to take prescription pain meds.  Tylenol worked for me with the heating pad and rest and plenty of water.  I hope this helps. Let us know how you are doing!  Hang in there.  It really will get better but it takes awhile so don;t expect a quick fix or you may have a relapse. That happened to me.  I just was not prepared for how long it would take to get better.  Now that I am so much better I want to let others know that it will pass. Just rest and be patient.  Prayers and blessings to you Denise.
  • Posted

Hi Denise

what pain medication are you currently taking? Are you under the care of a Consultant or is your GP managing your condition? I take Morphine sulphate tablets with Oramorph liquid fir breakthrough pain but other factors are important like diet. Are you getting support from a dietician? Sorry so many questions! X

• Posted

Hi Sadly

Thank you for your reply. I’m not on any meds as yet as I have to get in touch with my dr, I only had the diagnosis on Thursday after my flexible sigmoidoscopy which is how they found out what I have.  I will ring my dr or go down there on Monday to find out more about meds and what I can and can’t do 

• Posted

Pain for gallbladder? I lost my gallbladder 35 years ago I was very very young, now I suffer from diverticulitis  :-(  They don't give anything for Diverticular disease unless it turns in to diverticulitis is when it gets infected then they treat with antibiotics. You can have diverticula disease and it never turn into Diverticulitis  which I pray yours never does! 

• Posted

All doctors seem to work to different protocols. Mine worked to 7 day doses of Metronidazole extended to 14. I use Tylenol all the time on and off for the last 13 years. (Acetaminophen in N America or Paracetamol in UK) Morphine sulphate stopped my entire bowel solid which was difficult to sort out. There is much advice in these forums and everybody has different reaction to things so read as much as you can from the various discussions and try things out with caution and your Dr's advice. You may be referred to a Gastroenterologist or a Colorectac surgeon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.