Just diagnosed - confused about two subsequent ferritin results

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all. I was diagnosed about two weeks ago at age 37 - homozygous for c282y. My first blood results came back at 1,732 and 91%. Obviously high and I was buckling in for the long haul of blood draws. I also quit drinking immediately (heavy-ish drinker at 3-4 per day) and stopped eating red meat. Now two weeks later after doing my first therapeutic phlebotomy I find out that the ferritin is at 3,600! I'm just generally confused now... I was doing this 30 per blood draw math and pretty dejected at how long I was going to be doing the phlebotomies and now this? I don't even know what to make of it. Maybe the sudden lifestyle and diet changed caused something to happen? Maybe it's temporary? Help

Btw, the liver ultrasound showed moderate fatty liver and I have an endoscopy and liver biopsy scheduled for early July

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

When I was diagnosed my ferritin level was 1887 and trans sat 92%.

After 16 weekly phlebotomies my ferritin was down to 50. 

I am now on maintenance with one phlebotomy every 6 months.

I never changed my diet and if there has been no liver damage than drinking is ok when you’re in maintenance.

Diet has very little impact on ferritin levels.

• Posted

I agree the sharp increase does not make sense.Definitely needs to be confirmed .My ferritin levels were 3900 to start with and in all the years of phlebotomies only on the odd occasion did my ferritin levels go up.Went through a period of low blood pressure so skipped giving blood at those times.Even then ferritin only showed a slight increase.

• Posted

Some of this high ferritin could be caused by your fatty liver which causes high ferritin on its own whether you have HH or not.  It may have worsened in the interim.

You can have red meat now and then, but eliminate sugar and starchy carbs - these are what causes fatty liver, apart from alcohol.

Everyone is different and it may take a while for you with a high ferritin level and a high TS%.  You just have to keep persistent.  I have been having venesections since 1998 after a 9 year delay in diagnosis.  25 is the average reduction in ferritin per venesection but it is not set in concrete.

You are only two weeks after your first phlebotomy - you have a ways to go.  Just be resigned to it - it is better than having chemo.

• Posted

Numbers like that tend to indicate organ damage or illness/infection

You can correct fatty liver with diet change and quitting alcohol is a must depending the damage it can take few years.

bitter vegetables, coconut oil and apple cider vinegar all help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.