just diagnosed having anaemia

Posted , 3 users are following.

hello everyone have just been diagnosed as anaemic, saw a consutant yeterday and he wants me to have an endoscopy and colonoscopy, i have had these before 10 years ago and it was horrendous, i explained to the cons and he says i can have the highest tranquiliser but i am still really worried,anyone had a recent experience of these. thank you

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Both the procedures are done routinely. Maybe in your case, doctor needs to check possiblity of internal bleeding causing anaemia. With latest techniques and medications used, procedure is quite minor with minimal pain. Your doctor will spray your throat with a local anaesthetic or give you a sedative to help you relax. You’ll then lie on your side, and a doctor will pass the endoscope through your GI tract and have a required examination. The procedure usually takes 15-30 minutes. Temporary soreness of the throat may occur but is usually relieved quickly.  Complications from an upper endoscopy are rare.

You must have given an instruction sheet from your clinic. No food or drink is allowed for six hours before the procedure. An empty stomach allows for the best view and safest exam. For colonoscopy, drink only clear liquids for at least 24 hours before the procedure.

• Posted

Hi Liz I have just read your post, I have wondered for a while now if it was possible if I to could be anaemic?. What and how was this picked up, my doctors are not very hospitable to us customers and seem to rush us. So it's a case go in they write a prescription and then be gone!!. Through my teenage years I could live off fresh air but I did eat good and healthy just as the years catch up with you your poor body starts to take a battering. For the last couple of months with my periods they have completely knocked me out take for yesterday evening I was in bed for 7pm and slept through till 6.30am this morning. I was just wondering if you could let me know yours symptoms or a site I could go to to help me? Thankyou by the way I'm 45 and struggled with my periods prob since I was early 20s. And not really a big eater.
    • Posted

Hi michelle, well my aneamia was picked up when i sw a new dr because mine retired. i suffer a lot of constant pain with fibromyalgia and arthritis so the new dr ws running all general tests one being a full blood count and it was when he compared the results to a previous test that he became suspicious.

He refferred me via the PATHWAY which is the route when cancer is suspected and only took 2 weeks to be seen and booked in for colonoscopy and endoscopy, which i have next monday.

I also suffer with swollen ankles and breathlessness which is associated with anaemia. hope this helps a bit you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.