Just diagnosed mitral valve leak. Worried. 34.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all.

I'm 34 and towards the end of last year I began having really strange heart palpitations/thumping that would wake me up.

My mum had heart surgery to repair her mitral valve years ago and was told it was anxiety all her life unto it got so severe so she was adimant about me getting this checked out.

My echo came back as a minor leak. And my 24 hour monitor I had done showed a normal heart rate:beat during that 24 hour period. I am to be monitored now. My next echo is in 3 years.

I spoke to my GP about exercise etc and keeping healthy etc. But I'm still left a bit stressed and anxious. Just decided to join here. Wondered if anyone else is in my shoes and what their outcome is or what they do. What should I be doing. Will it get worse ?Gp said their is no knowing of that. That it could just stay the same.

I think the un certainty is driving me a bit mad and I'm not sure I could go through what my mum did.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

My aortic valve is leaking and has been my whole life. I have had lots of heart surgery for other valve problems. But my leak has been ongoing for over 20 years. It has got worse very slowly over this time. Some people deteriorate slowly and some quick. I think it completely depends on your own heart.

Also i presume your mother had open heart surgery which is what you are worried about?

In lot of cases for a valve leaks it is possible to have a small procedure via groin to repair a leak. Some are more complex than others so i would speak to your cardiologist about it. Being on 3 year appointment is really good, so they must not be too concerened about it, which is good news

• Posted

Thank you for replying.

Yes my mum had open heart surgery to repair hers. Hers at the time had proplapsed and was graded at a high 8. They said hers was congenital so it's been repaired but even still since it's congenital will never be 100%

I got my results from my test in post. It has not stated that it is congenital only that the leak is mild and appears to be one that may progress over a lifetime. So yes I am so scared I will have to go through heart surgery at some point. I am worried my symptoms will suddenly get worse as you mentioned. Wish there was something to put my mind at rest.

Waiting 3 years for another echo doesn't put my mind at rest at all cause a lot could happen in that time?Also I get very bad heart palpitations not often but laying down which is why I went in the first place and I've read about this causing strokes and blood clots. But I guess perhaps looking at it in your perspective is one way of looking at it.

After speaking to my GP it did ease me a little bit I guess. My blood pressure has never been a problem nor my weight. I don't smoke or eat junk. Trying to focus on that.

I'm going to join a gym and she said I can exercise as much as I like. However last time I was in the gym prior to diagnosis I suspected something all along and had to put the treadmill on the setting where it monitored my heart rate cause I was so afraid as I felt something was not quite right.

From the resources I've gathered however for mitral valve there is not much to do and it's not caused by any sort of smoking or unhealthy eating etc. I guess I can only stay on course.

• Posted

Yes i would say continue doing what your doing.

If you feel like its getting worse then speak to your GP.

Honestly 3 years between appointments i really good. But that doesnt mean you can speak to a GP or your cadiologists secretary in between that if needed.

• Posted

You've been dagnosed of that because of abnormal ECG? What particular tests did you under went? 

Because I'm kinda worried. I have palpitations and is very terrible but I'm trying my best to control it. I also had some chest pains but its not actually that painful. Sometimes it would be in the right side but most of the time its on the left side. Esp. on the left rib cage near the armpit. Went to the doctor last month under went ECG and Xray but all are normal and fine. 

• Posted

My ECG and trace were normal. Also my blood pressure has also been normal. 

I was diagnosed based on findings on the echocardiogram. I got sent for this by a cardiologist as I had been having similar symptoms to my mother who had a prolapsed mitral valve years ago and had heart surgery for it. (Heart palpitations on laying down)

My mums obviously got a lot worse. But as far as my other tests are concerned they were all normal. 

I think in a case it can only show on a scan. Especially since mine is currently mild and hopefully will stay that way. 

The doctor told me not to get anxious about it, so that is all I could say to you. But you know your body better than anyone. So if you feel something is not right push for a scan. Don't let them tell you it's just in your head. They told my mum they for 44 years of her life. I've never had heart palpitations ever until the end of last year, so I did not buy into that card when it got pulled out the deck. 

Good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.