just diagnosed overactive thyroid

Posted , 9 users are following.

hi just diagnosed with overactive thyroid yesterday , waiting for a referal to consultant ,theres a waiting list  and my concern is that my hearts pounding so fast, my hairs wet through at work and my hands shake , cant sleep , im so worried ,,,, will i be ok until i get to see the cosultant for meds . thankyou

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Have you been put on any medication? I was the same in April this year. I was put straight on Carbimazole. If not you need to ask your GP to put you on it even if it's a low dose until you see the consultant. It takes a while but eventually your heart will slow down and the sweating will become less once you are on the correct dose. The shaking will also stop after a while. Don't know how long you will have to wait for an appointment but I had to wait 5 months for hospital appointment. Hang on in there it will settle down. 

• Posted

Hi Julieshell. Having been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism your doctor should have prescribed some beta blockers to help slow down your palpitations until you see the consultant. I have been on medication for four years and have had all these symptoms.You will feel a great deal better once you start taking the tablets so please see your GP as soon as you can.Have you had a blood test.Ask for the results and post on here so we can try and help you to understand your symptoms.Take care  Nonita
    • Posted

hi nonita thank you . they cant prescribe betablockers apparently because i had asthma when i was young , not been treated for asthma since i was 17, she has taken some more blood and said she will ask the hospital if she can give me a thyroid tab,until i see the consultant ,and if i dont hear from her in a month ring back??? 
  • Posted

I agree with Nonita.  With your symptoms, you are in danger of having a thyroid storm which can be very serious and life-threatening if you are not on any meds like Beta blockers while waiting to be assessed by an Endocrinologist.  Ask your GP or go to an Emergency Department to at least get the beta blockers right away.
    • Posted

hi i cant have beta blockers due to asthma . i now have a hospital appointment 27th december
  • Posted

Julie 

you absolutely must make an appointment to see your Dr .. your chances of going into Thyroid Storm  become greater 

If you are left untreated .. google that to see how serious it is .

Take a loved one with you to see your Dr ., as a witness and tell him that you are feeling desperate .. and in danger.

Tell him that you are on this website,  a very respected website .. and you are being advised by fellow sufferers to 

Seek help as soon as possible 

Urge him to hasten your Endocrinologist appointment 

As then you will be given Meds to 

Slow you down again 

Tell your Dr .. you would wish to have your bloods tested 

And to also test for Antibodies to see if you perhaps have Graves' disease ...   then you will know 

What you must do to become well again

Come back here and list your blood results after you get a printed copy of them for  future reference    

( Those results are  Yours and they are obliged to give them to you .)

including  the numbers in brackets .. which are the ranges that your Lab uses ... they will tell you just where you are on the scales ..

And we will be able to see more clearly what is actually wrong with you and be able then to help you with good sound advice .

Best of luck Luvvie

Mx🌹

• Posted

I called an endo on my own and had the doc sign a referral and sent it in myself. I am cash pay so maybe that makes a difference. I included my tsh level of .0006 and I was in within a week! Now await results of uptake and scan tests

• Posted

hi madge i only saw the dr 2 days ago , thats when she did the referral , she did some more bloods and said she would ask the consultants if she can can give me a thyroid tab while i wait ,but she said ring back in a month if i havent heard from her , she cant give me betablockers as asthma is on my file , i havent used anything for asthma in over 30 years , but she still wont give me betablockers,
    • Posted

I also contacted an Endocrinologist privately and saw him almost immediately after my dr. Gave me a diagnosis  of Graves  disease ..

If you could afford it that would be the best route for you .. 

as it speeds thing up greatly 

Phone your local private hospital to find out if the cost is 

Affordable for you ..

I personally would take the advice not to take beta blockers if I had Asthma .... you need to put the pressure on your dr . Telling him you fear Thyroid Storm  might make him take you seriously .. it's always better to take a loved one to drs. Appointment too .. makes your  Dr.   more accountable .

Mx🌹

• Posted

hi thanks for the info , i have received an appointment for referal 27th december
  • Posted

You shouldn't take Beta Blockers - they can precipitate asthma attacks in susceptible individuals.

How fast is your heart going?

GPs can initiate antithyroid drug therapy. But before they do - they need to check other blood tests (Carbimazole is a strong drug). I assume that's what they're doing now.

• Posted

While some conditions would prevent the use of beta blockers, it is very common to prescribe them to hyperthyroid patients.  It took 3 months to complete testing and confirm my diagnosis and my Endocrinologist at that time prescribed 10 mg of Propranolol, a beta blocker because I had a resting heart rate of 100 in her office.  100 didn't bother me but later at home, I had a resting heart rate of 130 and that was kind of tough.  I took them only on an as needed basis and she was annoyed that I did that.  Once I got on meds, for the most part, I did not need beta blockers.  Occasionally I did and I would take 1/2 of a 10 mg tablet.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.