Just diagnosed umbilical hernia

Posted , 1 user is following.

just been to GP and as i suspected i have an umbilical hernia ,

then got a shock when told its a wait and see and couldnt/ wouldn't refer me , i explained i am very active 59 year old , i do weights 4 times a week, kayaking and building / site work , when i said about weights he said it was a trade off risk vs benefits and could continue ! everthing i have read says no , so it feels like my active life has just come to a grinding halt , only known for 3 days all I can think of now is this thing and the risks ,don't even feel like getting out of bed now ,

Only found it because I coughed and held stomach , but looking back I have had strange sensations from time to time in upper stomach and also discomfort when driving long distance ,

I have also read it's better to get it done sooner rather than later

Anyone else had trouble getting referred or is there another route as this just feels like my life is on hold at best and over at worst , he was basically saying once you get pain it will be done as an emergency !! How can this be right ? Is this how it is ?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.