Just diagnosed with 3 large fibroids and I'm very concerned

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm almost 50, have 4 kids and not having any more. I was just diagnosed with 3 large fibroids this week. I've had the heavy cycles, clotting, pains in legs, abdomen, lower back, dizziness, overall blahs and exhausted for years. Don't sleep, have bladder leakage, and I've gained 12 lbs in 3 weeks. I can't exercise because of the pain and having no energy. I eat healthy overall and take care of myself.The doctor's never found anything at all until last week !? Just last year I was told I was on the '5 year plan' for exams.

Just wondering what other women of my age brackett and family style have done in the past. I can not afford to miss a lot of work and down time but I can not live like this knowing now what I have and that I have options. I'm thinking of going straight to a hysterectomy just to get it all over with but does anyone else have a better idea or option out there?

I have no emotional support, so far I've been told to 'suck it up' and it will be okay.......not right.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.  

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I empathize with you because a year ago I was in the exact same position as you. In July I found out about my fibroids after becoming concerned with my weight gain around my abdomen and low energy. Hysterectomy was recommended and everyone I spoke with made it seem like I should just suck it up and have the hysterectomy, like it was nothing. One friend mentioned UFE, in fact she wasn't even sure if the term but once she described it I asked my gynecologist and she put me in contact with a radiologist. My gynecologist knew how hesitant I was about going under anesthesia and having a major surgical procedure. In October I had the UFE. My recovery went well. I took 3 weeks off. I believe the fibroids have stopped growing. I immediately lost weight but seems to have gained some back and that's okay as long as the fibroids have shrunk and have stopped growing.

• Posted

Thank you very much for your input.  It's been an extra difficult weekend and I really need support. My cycle started for the first time in a month and a 1/2 and it's extremely heavy and I"m in a lot of pain right now. I haven't heard from my OBGYN yet on when they can meet with me and I feel like I am losing my mind.....I have no energy, feel like all I want to do is curl up in a corner and cry. I can't sleep because no matter how I lay it's uncormfortable. My right side is tender and bloated. Everyone I talk with tells me how tired and run down I look. Who knew..........

It's good hear that you are feeling much better and that the UFE seems to be working for you. Do you feel that it was a better way to go than having the hysterectomy? I will be sure to ask about the UFE procedure and weigh out my options. Thank you so much for the input.

• Posted

I had two children with natural delivery. I had never been hospitalized outside of childbirth so the thought of going under anesthesia and having a major surgery frightened me. As my gynecologist kept talking to me all I heard was all the things she was going to remove in addition to the fibroids. I spoke with my primary care physician and he said whenever given the choice, always opt for the less invasive procedure which was the UFE in my case. I am 50 and from what I've read fibroids will shrink due to reduction in hormone production. I could not undergo major surgery without first exploring all options. This forum was very helpful to me and helped to prepare me for everything I experienced. I wish you the best.

• Posted

Hello there , I just came across your story on here and wanted to tell you that your not alone .

I as well am going through this kinda thing with the exact symptoms and after getting into a gynocoligist he recommended fibristal . It's a medication that will shrink he fibroids and it's a alternative to sugary if it works well .

I have been on it now for two weeks one tablet daily and it has stopped the bleeding I had from the fibroids . I was bleeding for 5 weeks , very heavy and lots of clots . I'm almost 49 years old and have had 3 kids and then had my tubes done when I was 25. We are at that age where the hormones are out of walk due to the onset coming into menopause within the next year or two . See my problem is also I have a uterus that's 12 cms thick . The doctors have done ultrasound and trasnsvaginal ultrasound as well as cervical exams . Thankfully my cervix looks fine . The hope is , is once the uterine fibroids shrink from this medication that the uterus will reduce in size as well . I know how hard it is being drained cause I am too . Drink lots of water and eat lots of green veggies like spinach . It has helped me a lot doing that :-) I do know what it's like though when all the sudden this stuff hits , it's so scary but keep faith and hope cause there are many of us woman out there who have the same problems and we'll get through it .

God bless ya !

• Posted

Thank you so much for your input and the information. I have had a couple of great people answer with some great information and alternatives to having a hysterectomy.  I really do not want to 'go under the knife' and am hoping that my OBGYN will be able to explain the couple of options that I have read about from people like yourself.

It's overwhelming and many do not understand it since they are not going through it. This on top of menopause........it's really draining emotionally.

Thank you again for your input. I'm finding this forum very helpful and supportive.

Appreciated--

God Bless

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.