Just diagnosed with Atropic Vaginitis

Posted , 8 users are following.

My doctor has just diagnosed Atrophic Vaginitis and prescribed Vagifem. (UTI test was negative). I understand that this takes several weeks (8-12 weeks) to kick in. I have burning on urination and and soreness. I don't have itching but I do seem to have 4 or 5 bumps/lesions around my vulva which are very sensitive to touch - ie wiping after urination, sitting down, wearing pants - like a needle being inserted! Unfortunately, I also have some discharge which means I need to wear a panty liner which I know is synthetic so not ideal but as I work full time, I do need some protection . I'm drinking lots of water, one glass with bicarb to make the urine less acid. I've stopped using soap in the vaginal area too.

I'm trying to keep some sense of proportion but I'm finding the continuous discomfort very wearing and dispiriting. Is there ANYTHING that will provide some instant relief for the pain until the Vagifem does its job? I've been trying Vagisan moisturising cream but it has not provided even temporary relief.

I was wondering if I could use Estriol cream externally and Vagifem at the same time - ie would this provide any quick relief externally?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It should.. I'm not sure how "powerful" estriol is compared to estradiol which is what the vagifem is but I'd think the extra estrogen would help. Is it over the counter or Rx? You might want to check with your doc to make sure you're not over doing it. I use estrace cream.. same stuff as vagifem but in cream form to use at night. It's a bit messy in the morning but I like it for the reason of smearing it on the outer bits at any time.

Try going without panties at home so you get some air. Also besides not using soap, use a no fragrance detergent like tide free and clear or equivalent, no fabric softner on your undergarments and use a no dye/ bleached toilet paper. Pat dry instead of wiping, and always dry front to back.

I hope you get relief soon!

• Posted

I forgot to mention try organic coconut oil.. it has antifungal properties to it and helps moisturize. It works for me when I need it but for others it doesn't but it wont hurt to try..

• Posted

besides coconut oil, try a probiotic natural yoghurt, only need about 1/2 teaspoon to massage in. also vaginal flora supps like Femex Forte. can mix some of the capsule contents into the yoghurt. works for me.

• Posted

Did your gyn think bumps and lesions were normal symptoms for atrophy? I think you'll find the hormone cream works faster than you are expecting. Was just a few weeks for me, but I was told to use it externally every night, not internally. Maybe doctors prescribe according to individual symptoms.

• Posted

Hi, try Vit E suppositories and use angel soft or an unscented toilet paper , make sure it says unscented on the wrapper. Also a detergent like All free and clear will help. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Hi Sally...I just added the AV forum to my list. I'm just reading other comments because I'm having the same issue. Are you menopausal? I just menopause and things went crazy downstairs. Just wondering how are you doing since treating your av? Did you get any better?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.