Just diagnosed with BP

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone. Thank you all for sharing your stories. They have really helped me. Especially today. I was diagnosed just a couple of days ago. Went to the ER and sent me home with a couple meds. The prednisone they gave me i ended up stopping after only a few pills. I could not stand the way i felt on those meds. Id rather deal with this a little longer than having the horrible feeling on the meds. Anyone else have bad side effects with it too? Im lucky in the fact that i didnt get the severe pain behind ears. But i do have a pretty bad oain from my shoulder to my neck to my head. And a HUGE headache that will not go away ....at all. And I feel like im getting worse at this point. Im slurring my words. Especially anything with the letters B, P and F. This is a really horrible diagnoises and would never wish it upon anyone. Ill try to keep up with posting my progress. Hopefully...

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I've had Bells Palsy twice. First time partial paralysis and second time full paralysis. It sounds like you have full paralysis from the slurring of words. Did you happen to injure yourself before symptoms started? I have not read about shoulder pain associated with symptoms. 

Studies on the use of steroids to treat Bells Palsy have been pretty inconclusive. However its standard to initially treat with steroids and antivirals. First time I only received 5 days of prednisone tapering down each day, no antivirals and recovered from mild paralysis in just over two weeks. Second time, full paralysis, I was prescribed prednisone and antivirals and saw no improvements. 

Headaches occurred very often for me because my facial muscles were overcompensating for the side that didn't move. Nerve pain started kicking in just a few days after diagnosis. I'd recommend a warm compress. I used this religiously. Don't know if it helped recovery but certainly wasn't harmful and eased some of the nerve pain.

• Posted

I feel for you, this is a terrible disease.  I was wondering what kind of side effects you had with the medication?  I haven't heard of anyone having that problem.  You may feel it is getting worse because you didn't finish the steroids.  Slurring is a part of this disease.  I slurred my words for weeks.  Say the alphabet and sing throughout the day.  Gently massage your face.  Cover your eye at night until it closes all the way.

• Posted

Hi Nia

I'm sorry you too are experiencing this sickness. I got mine Dec 17 and it too about 28 days for me to start getting better like closing my eye and getting smile back.

I am still not 100 percent. In fact tonight I feel the muscles pulse and know that I'm not right yet.

Stay positive for it shall go away in time.

I would recommend fish oil vitamins and B12. That's what I was told to take.

I also bought some homeopathic liquid made for this. Did it work? Possibly. I highly recommend you stay on the predison. I had my script filled 2 times.

Message back with any questions.

Stay strong and remember it should be temporary

John

I am

• Posted

Hi Nia,

Wanted to check on you and see how you are coming along. I hope you started to take your steroids. I had the Dr prescribe more for me. My symptoms are pretty much gone except for some tension pain in muscle.

Let me know how you are doing.

John

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.