Just diagnosed with dcis-- Ductal carcinoma insitu

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I recently had a biopsy due to new calcifications in my breast. Calcifications are nothing new for me but there were two new clusters one the mammogram. The biopsy showed DCIS. Because my husband is a PCP/administrator, I know all of the doctors in our hospital.... And the radiologist is a friend who did the procedure, she herself a brat cancer survivor of 9 years. She called with the results yesterday and said that it's practically a grade zero, and then she went in to say my options were.

For now, I'll be getting a breast MRI, and possibly more biopsies. At best, a lumpectomy and 6 weeks of chemo, or if it's widespread a mastectomy, possibly of both breasts.

My husband is so reassuring, but of course I'm scared. Really scared. He says that since right now, it's zero grade and NOT invasive, that's the best news regarding this kind of cancer. I trust what he says, but I'm so early into all of this.

Can someone reply to me with the same diagnosis. I can't bear any bad stories right now. I have panic and anxiety disorder and it's all I can do to keep it together today.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tammy,

Reassuring news is that the you are going to get through this with a wonderful husband, and you caught this before it spread throughout your body. I want you to know that the medical people who work with breast cancer patients are great. They know how scary this is.

My twin and I were diagnosed at the exact same time three years ago with an identical Intraductal Carcinoma, same breast, same time, same markers, same everything. Somehow, because it was caught early, we were not anxious. We both had partial mastectomies and radiation, plus are on Exemestane as the tumors were Estrogen POS, Progesterone POS, Herceptin neg. We had the partial mastectomies due to the calcifications. The tumors were 7mm.

There were no involved lymph nodes.

I know it wasn't carcinoma in situ, but...we both said, we just wished it was just ourself, so the other twin didn't have to go through it.

You will find tremendous support for whatever you do go through, I assure you.

If you have the lumpectomy with radiation, I found the best bra to wear is the Bali Cami. BTW, I found that out by asking at the Breast Center where I had my initial mammogram. A lady came out who worked there and told me where to go to buy them. It slips over your head, actually you step into it, because you cannot raise your arm after a lumpectomy, but the microfiber is like silk. I still wear them three years later. You do not feel the bra on you.

You join a sisterhood, essentially, helping others through the treatments as you help yourself.

Tammy, where do you live? How old are you? I know you will get tremendous care, as all breast cancer patients do.

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States. Please feel free to ask more questions....

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi. Thank you for all the good wishes and info. I just spoke to the breast surgeon that I met a week ago to review my mammogram. She also has calcifications. But she recommended I get the biopsy. Today, she said feels this is totally curable and that her mom had the same thing 25 years ago and had a lumpectomy/radiation with no recurrence.

She also told me not to panic and I haven't. Just very nervous. I'm babysitting my granddaughter today and my older granddaughter will be coming home at lunch. I don't have time to panic today....1 year old and 4 1/2. 🤪

The nurse will be calling shortly to schedule the MRI and then after that, we'll know more. It's the waiting game that gets me.

(I live in SW Pennsylvania). And I'm almost 54, also menopausal, hysterectomy last February, still have ovaries. Otherwise, in good health.

We do have a history of gastric cancers on my mom's side. My grandmother had breast cancer in her 70's, she had a mastectomy and lived to be 86, her sister had stomach cancer, but her daughter had metastatic breast cancer and passed away recently..... And her brother's daughter had breast cancer. These are my cousins, I realize, but there is a lot of cancer in my family. A LOT!

Ugggg. And my dad's side, there's stroke and beautiful cancer. I can't win!!!

Anyway, I'll be okay one way or the other.

Thanks for everything!

• Posted

Hi Tammy, I was diagnosed with DCIS in 2015. It was quite a big spread and in 2 sites on the right breast.  I had a mastectomy and no further treatment as it had not spread. I’ve been fine ever since except I had to be drained a few weeks after the op because of fluid on the operation site which is totally normal and common. I was offered reconstruction which would be done at the same time as the mastectomy. I declined but it is a personal choice. I wish you well and please don’t worry too much. DCIS is probably the least scary form of breast cancer.
    • Posted

Thank you! And I'm glad your okay. I probably should stay off Google.

Not sure if I want to do 6 weeks of radiation. We'll know more after I schedule the MRI with the nurse. I'm just going to push it to the back of my head....I have a lot going on in my life right now, mostly good, some not so good. With anxiety disorder, even on medication, I have to make a conscious effort to control my thinking. So stress isn't good for anyone.

I responded to to Merry19451, if you'd like, you can read my response to her.

Thank you so much for responding!

• Posted

Ok Tammy,

As you have a strong family history of breast cancer and gastric cancer, after the MRI, I would ask for genetic testing. You would be seen by a genetic counselor, and she would recommend the tests. There is more than one company so there are multiple panels out there. There are many more mutations than the BRCA1 and BRCA2, BTW.

Your decision regarding bilateral mastectomies should be based on a positive finding on the MRI AND also be based on whether you carry any of these mutations and how significant they are.

The good thing is, you can catch it before it spreads.

Best Wishes.

Me5

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.