just diagnosed with diverticulitis but what is a flare up

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been suffering from diarrhoea for 4 months but it has been a continuous process not a series of flare ups.. I am scared to leave the house for fear of not reaching a toilet on time and gp. says no fibre during flare ups. I normally like vegetables so find it hard to know what to eat as I am like this most of the time.

I am drinking lots of fluids, keeping veg to a minimum with occasional porrage but haven't identified any particular trigger except for sweet corn. 

getting quite down especially as I am losing blood and feel washed out. 

Had colonoscopy which showed DV patches though awaiting pathology.

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Just a few semantics:  Diverticulitis is the acute - aka flare-up - phase of the chronic disorder, Diverticulosis - or Diverticular Disease.  You really need to get the rest of the results in, because a lot of middle-aged prople seem to have a small amount of pocketing in the gut, but it doesn't of iteslf cause continuous diahorrea.  The colonoscopy may have spotted pockets, but the rest of the tests results need to prove the underlying cause, I'd suggest.  I'm not a medic, just a medium-term sufferer of DD. 

Good Luck!

• Posted

I do not beleive that you have diverticulitis.  I would guess colitus, possibly ulcerated.
  • Posted

My first reaction is to ask what on earth your doctor is playing at?  If you have had this problem for four months, then whatever you are/are not doing is not working.  You need to stop all fibre, anything with seeds (strawberries, kiwi, granary bread etc) and start on a low fibre/low residue diet.  I have inclouded a link to the one I use, so this reply will go through the mediator first.   http://www.gwh.nhs.uk/media/140811/low-residue_diet.pdf.  You must give your innards a chance to heal and then slowly reintroduce a food with a bit of fibre in it.  I am not kidding - it took me best part of two years to get back to where I am now.

As for flares - they can be minor - a bit of bloating, bit of dashing to the loo, maybe discomfort; or they can be major - diverticulitis is the term for when an infection gets into one of the pouches.  That then means antibiotics, maybe a hospital stay.  My worst (first) started with mild lower left pain.  I thought a little upset tum and nothing more.  But it didn't go away and by the end of the night I was in agony.  The A & E saw me quickly and diagnosed DD.  Three days in bed with an IV drip.  I hope you never find out what that's like.  That's how mine started, but you should read through Divi Diners to make the best of all the advice there from fellow sufferers.  We are a good bunch!

• Posted

Thank you for your informative and positive message. I will check out the site because I am confused as to what foods to introduce- probably ate the wrong things today!! My daughter took me to lunch at a darling little restaurant- oh oh! I am holding my breath to see what happens in a few hours!! Sorry for your hospital stay. Our friend from Edinburgh had to be in hospital too.. Hoping and praying to avoid that. Have a good weekend!!
    • Posted

Thanks Juliet, That link is very informative and I will give the low-residue diet a try.

I am not sure I don't have another problem in addition to DV so will await the pathology result with interest.

• Posted

Oh my goodness, Four Months??? I am so sorry!! My limited understanding is that once you have been diagnosed with diverticulosis it can " lie" dormant and quiet after just one incident or it can reappear- flare up- at other time. I have a friend who has had only one episode but it was terrible because one of the infected pouches burst and it resulted in surgery and wearing a colostomy bag for six months. However, she has had only the one episode and the bag is now removed. She is very diligent about what she eats and What she does not eat- nothing with seeds!!! Some doctors think seeds are not a problem . Who knows!!!?? I was told I cannot have a colonoscopy until four weeks after finishing antibiotics. This is my first and I hope only go around with this nasty disease!! I will add you to my prayers that you might quickly recover. Be proactive with your doctor because four months is dreadful! May you find something joyful to make your heart happy this weekend. Peace and blessings.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.