Just diagnosed with Fibromyalgia

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone. I have just been told I have acute Fibromyalgia after suffering with terrible pain for over a year.  I've been prescribed 25mg of amitriptyline which seems to really help.  I can't believe I let it go on for so long before I went to the doctor.  I am working full time and some days I just felt so awful I wondered how I would get through the day but still struggled in to work.  The amitriptyline seems to help with my pain, sleep and over all feelings of exhaustion.  I'm glad I've found somewhere to chat to others as it seems like no one really understands the pain of Fibromyalgia unless they also suffer from it themselves.  Glad to be part of the forum.

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda, welcome to the forum. Yes you are right, only those of us with the pain know what it's really like. Glad you are finding the Amitriptyline helpful. Sometimes it takes months or years for people to find a treatment that both suits them, and helps as well. And some unlucky people NEVER find anything that helps, or are unable to tolerate them. Hope you continue to benefit from it. Have a good day. 😄 xx
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. It's early days for me on the amitriptyline, but so far so good.  You have a good (and pain free) day too. xx
  • Posted

I have had it for 5 years now, well almost. I know how much the pain can beat you up. The working situation, I finally had to quit and only had 2 more years to retire. It so takes your life away , well at least wants to and we just have to fight. Even with all the meds I can't get any kind of real relief from pain. FRUSTRATING!! You can talks to me any time I understand how you feel. Take care!!
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. Sorry to hear you've been suffering for so long. I have made a few changes at work like working from home 2 days a week and taking regular breaks away from my desk but some days are still a real struggle.  The amitriptyline seems to have helped the pain a lot though which I'm really pleased about.  Yes it so frustrating though, especially when it starts to have an impact on your everyday life.  It's good to talk to people that understand!  
    • Posted

That's awesome you can work from home. Breaks were very unusual and I did try that drug but had side effects. That's how I began then mine got worse. Prayers for you!!
  • Posted

I'm glad you find the amatriptylne works well for you.  I take 40mg at night and that helps me to sleep.  I also take tramadol in the day and that does help.  Its the best for me and I've had quite a few attempts with different drugs.  I've had it about 5 yrs, its hard to say when it started, but I count from when the pain really hit me and I had time off work! 
    • Posted

It's very early days for me on amitriptyline, but the relief I'm getting already makes me feel like it's a wonder drug!  My doctor told me that you only really feel the true benefits though after taking it for 4-6 weeks.
  • Posted

Gosh I can't believe how much you sound like me!...i went to Drs yesterday with two issues, very high levels of anxiety/depression and Fibro, Dr was really nice and sympathetic and booked me in to see if i defo have fibro as i have all the symptoms..i just wanted the anxiety sortin first of all but at least im goin in the right direction rather the goin crazy like I thought i was!...i also work full time and always feel tired and in pain, lacking sleep, irritable, and everything else that goes with it.
    • Posted

Yes we do sound extremely similar! I thought my symptoms were to do with my age and hormones but it's easy to blame everything on that! Did your doctor give you any medication?
  • Posted

she gave me propanalol for anxiety but im goin back Wed for more in depth chat about fibro...its taken me a while to pluck up the courage to go back after i was labelled a medical mystery 10mth ago which upset me and put me off going back. its all really got me down, i walk like im drunk, i ave slurred and slower speech at times, forgetfulness, all the aches and pains to a point im taking painkillers like their goon out of fashion, even tryin to get hold of really strong ones to help me sleep...its horrible..x
    • Posted

Pain killers didn't really help me, even strong ones. Hopefuy they will find some medication that suits you and helps with the pain and anxiety. I know how you feel believe me. I thought I was going mad at one stage and the pain really dragged me down. Fingers crossed for you that you get it under control soon.
  • Posted

Welcome Linda...glad your a part of us...I'm on Amitritilyne too have been for years, same dosage too...I take mine every night, get a good sleep, the next day I can cope with any pain...takes years for some of us to be diagnosed, so well done you...hope your neds  works as well for you too..I've never ever had mine increased either, so that's really good....the exhaustion is a bit of a problem though at times....but trying to stay positive really works for me..glass half full an all....remember 'stress free' is the key..be blessed Linda..:-) xxxxx
    • Posted

Hi Christine. Thank you for your reply. Funny you should mention stress as I've had a lots to cope with recently and that when the pains started to get unbareable. I feel much better now I know what the problem is. I'm glad you have it under control too. x
    • Posted

Hiya Linda..it's almost a celebration when you get the diagnoses..just to be able to say..hey..this is real..when it's acknowledged the we can start to relieve some of the stress..especially ' is this all real..and is it only me..' Once diagnosed your on your way.....stay positive...be blessed..:-) xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.