Just diagnosed with HYPERTHYROIDISM

Posted , 4 users are following.

I felt like I needed to join a forum to talk with people with the same condition / symptoms that I have. Well first of all my name is Tyler I'm 29 and I live in Ohio and needless to say the start of this year has been hell. My question is how long does it take to typically take to start feeling better once you start taking medication to slow down your thyroid?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tyler

I'm on ATD's a bit over a month and just beginning to feel better. I do roller coaster at times but I think the bad days are getting less and the good more.

At 2 weeks I had a blood test and my numbers had already dropped somewhat. I get another test on 2/20 and hope they are normal as they were never too much out of range although I felt awful.

I hope Linda and Dan come by and discuss supplements with you. They're very knowledgeable.

Good luck. Hope you feel better soon. 

• Posted

Thanks Jay for your response ,

Just out of curiosity what symptoms were you experiencing ?

• Posted

I was very tired, drained at times. Weak legs. Foggy head. We caught it early so I didn't get heart palps but it affected me emotionally very badly. Mine is from an overactive nodule so I'm still having ups and downs. I might need to get the nodule removed if the meds don't stablize it.  Hot nodules don't usually go into remission. 

• Posted

It is important to know the cause of your hyperthyroidism.  It could be a viral illness or quite often it is an autoimmune cause like Graves Disease or Hashimoto's.  My lab tests for Free T3 and T4 were not too far out of range when i was diagnosed.  I was getting palpitations, irritated dry and red eyes the most.  As soon as I was started on 10 mg of Methimazole, the heart symptoms stopped for the most part.  I stayed on 10 mg for 2 years and I had a TSH of less than 0.001 for those two yeaers.  While I felt better on meds, I was anxious to get my TSH into the normal level and after starting supplements like Regular L-Carnitine, 3,000 mg daily, vitamin D 1,000 mg daily and Magnesium 200 mg daily, my TSH began to rise.  I then tried Acetyl-L-Carnitine and my TSH really rose and as it did, my Endo lowered my dosage of Methimazole.  At one point, I stopped the Acetyl altogether when my TSH rose to 1.50 and 2.50.  For the most part I have been able to control my symptoms on a very low dose of Methimazole 2.5 mg 3-4 days a week and the mentioned supplements.  There are also other supplements for those who prefer a more natural treatment method.  Supplements like Bugleweed, Motherwort and Melissa.  

• Posted

Well that is a very good question, I got sick with what I felt like was a pretty bad virus bug that was going around and one night I took Nyquil and the decongestant in it screwed me all up in the middle of the night. Ever since that night I had the symtoms of not feeling right, anxiety , brain fog and had alot of problems sleeping. About a year and a half ago I had an episode of a heart pulp which stopped on its own after about a week and my doctor tested my TSH then which was 1.550 and shows a scale of 0.46-4.68 and then life went on as normal for most parts but I was always fatigued ect. I had blood work done again which I requested them to check my Thyroid which returned a result of 0.29 and I was diagnosed with Hyper and prescribed Lorazepam and a heart medication because my BP was up to bandaid the symptoms until I got to my regular doctor. Once at there my regular doctor ordered more blood work and tested for Thyrotropin Receptor which was 1.10 and Thyroid Stim Immunoglobin which was 69 and TPO AB which was 28. He told me that I didnt have any of the auto immune diseases and just had an overactive thyroid and proscribed me PTU 50MG twice a day and im on day 6 and the mental fog went away, and the anxiety is not as bad but I just still dont feel right. Im not seeing anything about T3 and T4 on my results.
    • Posted

Also I had a ultrasound done on my thyroid which showed everything was ok
    • Posted

Hi Tyler

I just read your reply to Linda. Wow, that's similar to what happened to me! I do believe a bad virus triggered my nodule. Last Feb I came down with a virus that hit my inner ear. It's called Labrynthitis. I was sooooo sick with vertigo for a week and severe dizziness for 2.5 more months. It seemed like it took forever to recover from that virus and that's when I started feeling oddly ill. The weakness and dizziness and foggy head was scary. That's when I had the blood work done and was told I was hyper. I also had a radio iodine uptake test to check for the reason. That's when t they found the one nodule taking up all or most of the iodine and the diagnosis was overactive nodule. 

I wonder if you had thyroiditis from the virus which caused the antibodies. Mine were elevated too and my doc felt it was because of the virus. I feel great one day and bad the next so I know I'm yoyoing.  Are you feeling stable at all yet?

• Posted

I have never heard of Throiditis but I guess it's possible , I'm very day to day haven't had a full solid day yet. I guess I would need to know what you would consider stable to answer that correctly

• Posted

Did your doctor diagnose why you're hyperactive or test your T3 and T4?  I also had a test called RAI Uptake to determine if my thyroid was functioning properly. That's how they diagnosed hot nodule.  Are you seeing an endo or being treated by your primary?

Day to day is how I'm doing also, but I'm having more better days and more energy.  Hopefully the longer you're on the med the more good days you'll have. 

• Posted

To my knowledge I wasn't tested for T3-T4 , he told me that if I had nodules I would have had to take that uptake scan but since I didn't all I needed was to slow my thyroid down , but I'm being treated by my primary but he seems very knowledgeable , that being said there is a endo close that I might just do a follow up with but I'm not wanting to spend thousands in medical bills either

• Posted

Hallo Tyler,

Well I'm a bit like you, just finding my feet on the forum and also getting my head around the fact that I have hyperthyrodism, mine due to Grave's disease.

I seem to be on a pretty high dose of Carbimazole, 40mg a day, which people here tell me is high. I have been taking it for 12 days but already feel an improvement. Actually I felt a little better the next day, but perhaps that was relief at having a diagnosis, a bit of a placebo effect. However I am definitely better in that my primary symptom, muscular weakness, has improved a lot. In December I painted a ceiling. Getting up the ladder was tough, but getting down almost impossible, I thought I'd fall. Legs trembling as I stood on the ladder, arms exhausted and needing very frequent rests. Actually this is what sent me to the doc.

I had had a nasty cold and chesty virus for two months (Nov + Dec), so I put my weakness down to this. Gradually it got to the point I could hardly muster the strength to go up stairs. Plus we had the coldest winter here (France) in years, often minus 10 C or more, yet Mrs FrostyPants here was always snug and warm.

I've had kind and knowledgeable advice from Dan, Linda and several others, and am getting underway with very clean eating and supplements.

Let me state from the outset, it is my full intention to recover completely from Grave's, to get myself in tip top form, to make lifestyle changes (thinking of spending the cold months in South of Spain next winter), going back to yoga and meditation to regularly loose all my stress.

I hope you start to feel better within days, as I have. But this is certainly the best port of call if you want to take responsibility for your thyroid health. I'm so glad I came.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.