Just diagnosed with hypothyroidism & would like to discuss

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was recently sent for bloodwork and it came back that I have hypothyroidism. Can anyone else who has this tell me what caused it in them? Most sites say it's a tumor & it's got me a bit freaked out. I'm a 26 year old male. I grew up morbidly obese (was 305 lbs at 18) but lost 100 pounds by the time I was 23. I'm now at 215 and eat much healthier than I used to. However i do feel major pains in my chest that I'm pretty sure is acid reflux and indigestion pains. Any opinions would help. Thanks!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

HI, Sonicpatron!

Do you snore and/or ever stop breathing momentarily in your sleep?  If so, it might be worth asking your doctor to get you tested for sleep apnoea, as the symptoms you describe may also point to that.   Given your weight issues, it is a possibility worth ruling out.  Hypothyroidism is often connected to sleep apnoea, which in itself can cause acid reflux. 

• Posted

I had it when I was overweight, but not anymore (thankfully, as I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy)
  • Posted

It isn't necessarily caused by a tumor, and I don't think it usually is. I don't know what caused mine. It could be that I worked around radiation for 20+ years, but more likely, I think it was the stress that comes with being self-employed. I didn't eat or drink enough, worked late nights and got little sleep, and I have ongoing inflammation from an old accident, so I stressed my body in so many ways at the same time for many years, and that will wear the ol' thyroid out. And sometimes it's genetic. My grandfather and mother don't have eyebrows either!

Regardless of why you are hypothyroid, becoming knowledgeable about the symptoms will help you know what to talk to your doctor about. Chest pain can be caused by several things. I like my doc ruling things out for for me if there is a chance it could be heart-related.

And, congratulations on your weight loss! With the dedication you put into losing that much weight, you will be good an managing your thyroid treatment!

• Posted

Look up hashimoto's hypothyroidism. This is what it is called when your own immune system attacks your thyroid gland. It is what causes a lot of people's hypothyroidism. (80% springs to mind).
  • Posted

Hello Sonicpatron:

I am an RN-Nurse and suffer with Hashimoto's Thyroid Disease.  I live in the USA.  This type of thyroid disease is usually family related and passed on in the DNA.  It is autoimmune and hits Women more than men.  It is not catching, and only hurts the person who has it.  It basically renders your thryoid useless over a period of time.

Many things can cause Hypothyriodism.  In some people cancer can cause problems with the thyroid and Lupus is another condition that can effect the thyroid gland.  Also in some Diabetes can cause some people problems with the thyroid.  Many of us have thyroid disease and some places like 3rd world countries - poor diet and lack of iodine in the diet can cause thyroid problems.

GERD can come from your stomach up your throat beacuse of a weak valve and you can take Prilosec, Prevacid, or many others available in drug stores, to keep acid down. Elevate your head of the bed on old books or buy a pillow wedge available in bed stores,  and sleep on it.  It is common to have that, and can be controlled now.  Sit up at least 30 mins after eating and avoid spicy foods.

I hope this helps you.  Shelly

• Posted

Hi

When I asked my doctor why my thyroid was so low --the answer was many things but mostly autoimmune.

• Posted

Hey, dont panic, when i was diagnosed with hypothyroidism  at 16 i was told pretty much nothing about it, all the facts i learnt was  through my higher  biology course! Hypothyroidism, or underactive thyriod occurs when the piturity gland does not prduce enough thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) to the thyroid gland, meaning not enough  thyroxine will be produced. This causes many problems such as increased weight gain, as metabolism is impacted, decreased  concentration, lethary and constipation. This problem can be overcome by taking hormonal supplements(extra thyroxine) each day.

As for tumor, im not 100% sure. As far as im aware, it is only Hyperthyroidism, overactive thyroid, that is caused by a tumor to the piturity gland. You may be  getting confused with thyroid cancer, which is  extremly rare and will  only likely occur  in extreme untreated cases, and more often that not with overactive thyroids, so  do  not worry about this

Also if any of my  information is wrong please  feel free to  correct me, as my knowledge of the matter is not as  exact as i would hoped it tobe, and it would be a great help to me also.

Hope i at least help with something!

Sources- just stuff ive learnt myself

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.