Just diagnosed with Lyme

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have red ring and I just started doxacyclin but my first dose made my head feel numb. Is this normal? Also I have experienced chest pain with each dose so far & my doctor said these effects are nothing compared to Lyme itself. Today I feel just like I did prior to the tablets of dox. I wonder how effective this drug is. Plus I'm a vegetarian Dic said not to eat iron in my diet?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sally,

Whatever you do, keep taking the doxycycline.  You don't need to read very far on this forum to see quite how lucky you are to have been diagnosed early and be treated. Left untreated or inadequately treated, it is a debilitating and persistent disease - many would describe it as devastating.  Doxycycline can make you feel quite bad, (take it as advised - e.g.if it says with food, then have it with food, as it can make you feel quite nauseous otherwise) but if the doc says the chest pains etc aren't anything to worry about, then don't stop taking it. He is absolutely right about it being nothing compared to Lyme itself. Lyme is much easier to beat if you treat it early, as you are. Don't worry if you don't feel better yet.  If you were already feeling ill from the disease, you will probably feel worse before you feel better, on top of the side effects of the doxy. If it's really unbearable, go back to the doctor.  He might be able to prescribe something else. With regard to iron:  I have a feeling that iron stops the doxy working properly, which you really don't want, as getting further treatment should you need it might prove difficult. Nhs protocol for lyme seems to prescribe fairly minimal treatment (as many sufferers will tell you!). But for you with the early diagnosis and treatment, hopefully what you have been prescribed will be enough.  Wishing you the best for a speedy recovery, and well done seeking advice for the red ring and so have received an early diagnosis.

• Posted

Drink lots of water with lemon. Eat lemons. 

Cut out all cabohydrate and obvious sugars from your diet.

Fresh vegetables, carrots lightly cooked. salads, no watercress.

Avocadao, melon and seeds, oranges but check diet with those who have the diease and who are part way recovering. Eat enough/ plenty of salt unless advised otherwise and VIT C  2-10 grammes a day .

Almonds are good. Almond milk, ginger and lemon tea..

Non-dairy cheese.

I don't know what I have. Not heard result of lyme test, prob neg. A lot of them are.

but I do know that carbs  make me a lot worse. 

Go with the antibiotics at least three months. Some say different ones are better. I don't know. 

All will have some side effects. 

Get in the fresh air as much as poss. Sea air is best.

Be patient, hopeful and kind to yourself.

I am wishing you well.

• Posted

Sorry I omitted the word  Eat before listing the things that are good.

Just avoid the fish and chips or toast/ cakes/bread/ biscuits, anything with yeast in, alcohol, potatoes etc etc

And I forgot eat or use coconut oil. 

• Posted

I always use coconut oil and drink coconut milk/ almond milk. I also am vegetarian thank you hon
  • Posted

Sorry  if I  sounded "preachy". I read you were a vegetarian but not all use coconut oil.

I am having a very  hard struggle with this thing and anything that helps me might help others.

Also i found some relief in eating the whole lemon and drinking masses of water.

Somehow it seems the body is telling us what it needs. I couldn't  eat for three weeks  just drank water  but I fancied lemons.   Now I fancy  green herbs, like a cut up tomato with lots of fresh basil and  vinegar. Maybe Basil has something in it?.

There must be something growing out there that kills whatever is making  people.

so ill.

It seems the majority of folk find antibiotics a help so stick with them or if you can't get the Gp to try another. It's early days yet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.