Just diagnosed with Lymes Disease. Can I still run marathon in 6 weeks?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was just diagnosed with Lymes Disease today. I have had the symptoms for 3 weeks, but figured I was coming down with the flu as I am in the big mileage for my marathon coming up in October 1st. The symptoms took a turn for the worst on Tuesday and I found myself in the ER and being diagnosed with Acute Lymes. I haven't ran since last Friday. I started antibiotics today. My question is, will I still be able to train and do my marathon on October 1st? Or is it not worth the risk?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear of your sickness and diagnosis but you are fortunate that it was caught at the acute phase as it is highly treatable at this point.  You will likely be on antibiotics for a quite a few weeks as you should be - if not longer.  I want to say, "giver" if you're feeling well enough and up for it but I can't.  I strongly recommend you take the time to heal your body as it's in a highly inflammed state right now.  It could impact your recovery and long term prognosis.  Your body needs rest right now more than ever before.  The fact the you've been experiencing the flu like symptoms and feeling unwell - speaks volume.  

If the race were six months down road - completely different story.

I'm sure it's not what you want to hear and is simply my advice based off of experience, personally and through others.  I would have given and done ANYTHING to have had proper treatment at the onset of my infection 12 years ago.  Trust me you want this infection/ bacteria out of your body.   Having said all of this, in the end - it's ultimately your decision.

Get better - most important! Your body will thank you.

Best wishes!

G

• Posted

If you have the energy I say go for it. But be cautious. What's the doctor say?  Ask him. 

• Posted

On second thought. It could exasperate things and run you Down too much. Seek the doctors advice. But also listen to your body. 
  • Posted

You can run it.  But, expect that you will not be your best.  Nonetbeless, you can run it. 
  • Posted

I agree with G1975. Why you may be able to do the run, you should rest your body so it can use all the energy to fight the bacteria causing Lyme.
  • Posted

Thank you everyone. I have decided that it's probably best for me to opt out of the marathon. I could try it, but the risk of making the infection worse is not worth it

• Posted

Great decision - good for you.  There will be many more marathons in the future - health first!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.