Just diagnosed with Myasthenia gravis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone

I have just been diagnosed with Myasthenia gravis and as wondering if any one on this site as had it or knows someone with this i have just started medication and the tablets are not very nice understand have lots of bad after effects .

So can anyone please help me with some advice how to cope with this i have been very tired for over 12 Months and keep going very dizzy that lasts all day on top of this i have been told i have diabetes so still need to see nurse on Friday as hospital says yes i have it but my GP says no i don't so who do i believe.

hopefully some one can help with some advice .

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Ask for another diabetes test to establish if you do have diabetes. Check to make sure your tests results haven't been mixed up with anyone else's. Maybe this is the source of the confusion as to whether you have diabetes or not. Ask if there are any other medications/treatments you can try for Myasthenia Gravis and try avoiding stress and get plenty of sleep. Some people find stress and tiredness can trigger symptoms.

• Posted

Hi pippa

It gets very confusing as the hospital says my bloods are high and I have diabetes but my GP says I'm on the boarder line and wants to re test in 12 months time, so I don't know who to believe but got appointment with nurse tomorrow for a chat.

As for my ocular myasthenia gravis I have started my medication and fingers crossed it starts to work soon.

How are you doing.

• Posted

Hopefully, your myasthenia gravis treatment works well with no side effects and you get a clear answer about whether or not you have diabetes. Although I have IBS, it hasn't bothered me for a few years now.

• Posted

I feel so tired and warn out no matter how much sleep I have its not another I'm always dizzy i feel so fed up its got to the point i can not cope any more everyday gets harder i have to keep pushing my self but i know one day i will just have to say i can not do it any more , we have told doctors but don't do anything about it and we don't know who to talk to anymore .

If it was not for my wife i don't know what i would do .

• Posted

Maybe the answer is not to push yourself and to do less. The stress of getting tests, waiting for the results and getting confusing information can cause tiredness. Feeling constantly worn out can cause you to feel down and hopeless. Try seeing a different doctor since your current one isn't helping you.

• Posted

Hi kevin10979

MG causes weak muscles so you will get tired and the type you have will affect your your eye muscles. Have you had your vits and minerals checked. It would be a good idea to get them checked especially Vit D and Vit B12 if these are low you will get lethargic and fatigued.....

• Posted

Hi kevin10979

What is it your doc says you don't have...MGravis or Diabetes?

• Posted

Good afternoon Mary

Hospital as confirmed that I have ocular myasthenia gravis and that I also have diabetes, but my GP says I don't have diabetes and wanted me checked again in 12 months time but hospital says different so I'm seeing the nurse on Friday afternoon.

I know its very confusing.

• Posted

Hi kevin10979

Thank you for your reply. It is good you have a diagnosis of MG of the eyes which can be dealt with. It can be treated with various Ocular MG meds including steroid, but try and avoid steroid if possible because they cause a lot of yuk side effects and they will higher blood glucose levels and blood pressure plus increase diabetes if you have Type 2 type. So chat to your doc if he suggests steroids about the advantages and disadvantages. In my experience disadvantages outweigh the advantages......best wishes...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.