Just Diagnosed with PF

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have worked as a clerk and cashier for 4 years and for the past 6 months work it's so painful I am barely able to walk. Once I am home I am barely able to stand let alone walk, my Dr gave me a muscle relaxer but it doesn't even touch the pain it's unbearable. I have a return appointment next Tuesday but they told me to stretch and roll my foot over cans to massage them and various other things such as I've on my feet nothing gives me any relief I have read over and over there's no way to fix it so how do I continue to live with this agonizing pain every single time I stand up??? I just need to know what works, I have MRI scheduled and a referral to a pediatris but so far nothing helps

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I can understand what you are going through! I've been dealing with PF for about 6 months too. A couple things seem to be helping. I ordered a Slant Board online to stand on a couple times a day, someone else suggested it to me. I read on here about a week ago someone said to get gel-heel innersoles for my shoes, I got the Dr. Scholls brand and they have offered some relief when walking around. The other thing is a really good pair of sneakers. The pain is "better" but still here, I'm hoping I'm headed out of this but from all that I've read this could be a life long issue. And I've read that surgery is NOT a guarantee that the pain will be gone. I hope that yours gets better, the best I can offer is validation for what you are going through, it is the worst pain I have been through so far.

• Posted

Hi, I had this year's ago and saw podiatrist MRI scan showed thickening of plantar and the fact I had extra bones (apparently more common than you would Think). My tendons were therefore attached to the wrong bone and I had to have major surgery as my heels had moved out.of line. Now despite all this while waiting for my surgery which was many months I found most relief from resting but when I had to walk I had a pair of Birkenstock sandals. They are hard but a friend who had the same problem recommended them. He told me to persevere for a few weeks. I did this and the problem resolved. I also did exercises to stretch my achiles tendon which helps release the tension on your plantar I think. I stood on my bottom step facing up my stairs and let my heels drop. This was hard to do but actually things began to feel much better after doing this. When sitting I would put a towel under my toes and pull them up towards my knees. Good luck and I hope you find relief soon.

• Posted

hi welcome to club.lol honey we all have been through this or going through it.try physiotherapy.rolling tennis ball beneath ur feet.streches and icing.get good deep massage of feet n calf muscles if u can get.try vionic flip flops from Nordstrom rack.and lastly try buying soles for ur shoes.
  • Posted

Sorry to hear about what sound likes a very painful case of PF.

Look through previous posts and you'll see wnat other people have tried, and you'll also see that the effectiveness of remedies can be different as PF can affect people in different ways.

Rest is the best cure but very difficult if you have a family or work commitments. Try the bag of frozen peas wrapped in a tea towel but not for more than twenty minutes, and a strong anti-inflammatory such as Naproxen, this is only available on prescription I believe but Ibuprofen can help together with Ibuprofen gel on the foot.

Walk as little as possible and use a gel or foam insert in your shoes, preferably soft soled ones like good trainers.

Hope things improve soon.

• Posted

JMcKay, I am a retired physician and plantar fasciitis patient.  I got plantar fasciitis around February 2016.  After about four months, it completely resolved. 

Here's what I think.  Plantar fasciitis is inflammation of the attachment of the plantar fascia to the heel bone, and/or some minimal tearing of the plantar fascia - just a few fibers - that results, naturally, in inflammation . . .   like a "pulled muscle."   Inflammation hurts until it heals and resolves.  So what's so difficult about curing P.F.?  Well we walk on it!!!  Let's say we take 5000 steps a day.  Imagine inflammation of your elbow, (i.e. tennis elbow).  Imagine taking your sore "tennis elbow" and wacking it against the wall, 5000 times a day.  Think it would heal quickly?  I don't either.

So my cure for plantar fasciitis is cushion, cushion and cushion!!!  That's right - cushion the heel.  Here's what I did.  First, I wore the plantar fasciitis "relief bridge" gel-heel innersole in my shoes - that I got at Walgreen's for about $11.  Make sure your innersoles are soft and preferably made of gel.  (I plan to use mine indefinitely in my shoes.)  Then I wore a pair (usually) of nice thickish sox.  On my heel I wore fasciitis therapy wrap padded supports that I got on the internet for about $13.  (I don't wear them any more.)  So when I had my PF, under my heels I had 3 cushion layers.  I wore this about 24 hours a day - except when in the shower or swimming.  And after about 4 months, the PF was totally gone.  And I would suggest to you, have patience, not surgery.

JMcKay, that's what I think.  I hope this helps you and the many other sufferers of plantar fasciitis.  Good Luck to you, doknabox/JerryR

• Posted

Jerry, I read your reply about a week ago to someone else and I got the gel heel insoles, they have helped a lot! I guess I need to add in the other 2 support items and see if that makes more of a difference. Thank you! ~Nancy
  • Posted

Yes, we don't really appreciate the stress that is put on our feet.

Imagine our whole weight magnified several times being blasted onto our heels with every step. We take our feet for granted, but really need as Jerry said to cushion our heels. They just were not made for hammering into hard concrete surfaces for miles a day - any wonder we then get a reaction!

Prevention is best - and as we all know, once you have PF, whow... it is horrible

• Posted

Hi, I sympathise with you and know exactly the pain that you are going through as I have been through it too😢I had a ultra sound guided steroid injection into my foot after trying a month of anti inflammatory tablets and after 2 appointments with a consultant podiatrist. The pain got MUCH worse for two days then little by little started to improve. I would say it is 95 % better now😀 after 3 weeks. 

I found that compression socks and good gel heel cups helped too and the best stretch exercise is to take a book into the bathroom with you, it needs to be about 2" wide. When you clean your teeth then put the front part of your foot on it and rest your heel on the floor, standing straight. You should feel a gentle stretch in your calf. Do this for 2 minutes twice a day. I hope you get help soon

regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.