Just diagnosed with Pityriasis rosea and feeling very discouraged

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I've just been diagnosed with PR but I've had it for about 2 weeks now. At first I thought the few red/pink spots on my torso and legs were just a few mosquito bites or some other bug bite. I washed my bedding and frequently showered, but no avail. The spots kept on popping up. I itched them often, and I noticed a large, inflamed red patch (I later found out this was the "herald patch" or "mother patch"wink on my shoulder. I also noticed a smaller version of this patch on my back. After a few more days, my entire stomach, back, chest, and neck were covered with these small red dots. I have had eczema my entire life, so I thought that this was just another one of my flare-ups that would go away in a couple days with proper care. However, no matter how much lotion, hydrocortisone cream, or Benadryl I used, the rash would not go away. Eventually, I went to the doctor and he diagnosed me with PR. I was confused at first because I had no idea what that was or how long it lasted. When he said it lasts for 1-2 months I felt so defeated and discouraged. It's now summer and I want to be able to wear a swimsuit to the beach without having to feel so insecure about my rash covering my entire torso. After my diagnosis I freaked out and started stressing about it. I looked up PR pictures, symptoms, treatments (I stressed even more when I found out that there really isnt a proven cure), and anything to help get rid of this horrible rash! I hope some time in the sun will help it calm down soon and that it won't last too long...

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.