Just diagnosed with PR and starting home remedies

Posted , 3 users are following.

My story with PR goes like this, about two weeks ago I felt a bruning sensation just below my left shoulder, close to my armpit.  The night before I was at a concert and assumed that I must have been burned with a cigarette.  That "burn" is what I now know to be infamous Herald Patch.  It resembled what I thought to be ringworm because of the shape and raised edges but it soon grew larger and became very flaky, with a terrible burning sensation.

Just a couple of days after I discovered the herald patch, very small red bumps began appearing in random places on my legs, hips, back and stomach.  I assumed that I must have bedbugs and went on a cleaning frenzy.  I quickly realized that it was indeed not bedbugs especially after the little pimple like bumps began taking new form and starting the same burning sensation.

I have at least 10-15 of these lesions (that;s what I'm calling them) that range from small little red bumps to quarter sized (1" in diameter) that look and feel like burns and are flaking.  Today I decided that it was time to book an appt with a dermatologist.  She looked at my lesions and quickly identified and diagnosed me with PR.  I was shocked when she shrugged it off and said that there was nothing that could be done and it would take at least 2-3 months to go away on its own but not before getting worse.  She said "Oh, and it's going to be a really scary ride.  The patches are going to grow quickly and spread".  It was said in such a tone like "sorry I'll hope for the best".

I turned to this forum and although I feel better Im still so scared for what's ahead.  The 10-15 lesions that I already have are causing me so much pain and discomfort.  I feel like a monster.  I have two on my face which I know is rare and several of these little pimples all over my body that I know will turn into these painful crustations as soon as tomorrow morning.

After a lot of research on this forum I've decided to take matter into my own hands and start my own home remedy.  I will update in a couple of days with my findings.  I bought the following items:

- Emergen-C.  to boost my immune system

- Head n Shoulders Shampoo.  to rub all over my body and let stand for 10 minutes before I wash it off

- Eucrine lotion.  I'll use this after I get out of the shower

- Multi vitamins to also boost my immune system

- I plan on trying the sunbed 3 times in a week for no more than 6 min

I will be sure to update everyone on my progress.  Good luck to you all!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Welcome to this monster. I am currently on my 5th round of PR, and in the 4th week. I'm covered from head to toe with hundreds of spots. They're starting to itch less, but not completely. I'm an avid marathon runner, and I can't run for fear of itching. After multiple times having this I can say that the tanning bed plays the biggest role in getting rid of them, however you have to wait until they are done spreading. I've been tanning for 2 weeks now and am just starting to see my chest, back and face change. Coco butter lotion feels the best on my skin. The Eucerine lotion burned my skin. I am also taking extra Vitamin C, D3 and a multi vitamin. All cases of my PR happened after strep throat. It does go away...in about 10 weeks for me..but it's feels like so much longer. Hang in there...you aren't the only one going through this mess.
  • Posted

Hello everyone!

It's been awhile since I posted when I first diagnosed with PR.  Frankly, I didn't see a light at the end of the tunnel and did not want to discourage anyone with my negative thoughts.  I have to say that after 6 solid weeks my PR is almost completely gone.

It has been an emotional roller-coaster and for awhile I was siffering from depression because everyday it was getting worse and my body wasnt responding to ANY of the home remedies.  I'm here to say now that it DOES get better and that you WILL get through this.

3 weeks in and suffering from depression and very painful lesions I decided that I needed to make a lifestyle chande. 100% eating clean foods, taking natural supplements, no sugar, vitamins, and eating super foods helped with not only my depression but I became physically and mentally healthier.  I have to say that changing my diet and using Eucerin cream (only to help with the pain) is what got me through.  The head n shoulders shampoo burned me and made my lesions inflamed so 

• Posted

I got cut off.  The head n shoulders actually burned me and made my lesions inflammed.  So while i know this worked for others I would recommend using this with caution...if you feel pain than STOP.  Oatmeal baths helped with pain but it is certainly not a cure.  The tanning beds did seem to help a little but I was scared to keep using them because their is skin cancer on both sides of my family.

I'll end with this, be sure to do your research before making any treatment decisions.  Be confident with yourself and know that it will get better and that you're not alone.

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.