Just diagnosed with prostate cancer

Posted , 9 users are following.

Today I got my prostate biopsy report . 3 of 12 cores positive, Gleason 3+3, 40%. 3+3, 8% and 3+4, 54%. My psa is 14.5. Dr. Recommended surgery. Is there anyone with similar numbers that can offer advice?

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Winn,

I'm 52. I was Gleason 3 + 3 following a biopsy 2 years ago following a PSA of 5.7 and then 7     --    2 weeks later.

After this my PSA went down to 1.7 and has varied between 1.5 and 2.4 for the 7 subseqent blood tests. In July however it went up to 3.2 and they sent me for an MRI. 

Came back small focus of prostate carcinoma contained within the organ which wasn't a great surprise. Saw the Urologist 2 weeks ago who gave the usual options of RT or RP etc... so I had a big decision to make. 

I've looked at loads of research, clicnical trials comparing the various treatments to doing nothing (much of the research was suggested by the good people on this site).

I was really worried about what to do etc.. but now I've decided to do  -nowt! Just going to carry on having another PSA test in 3 months and take it from there. I think at my age, with some of the side-effects that appear inevitable, I'm willing to keep rolling the dice although I know at some point I will have to get treated - but not yet!

Did you see the article in the paper last week about a number of patients reporting their surgeon for carrying out what they believe were unnecessary Prostectomies? and treatment when they didn't need it?

Feel great having made the decision as before I couldn't  sleep, was worried, and yes frightened. But not now.

all the best

• Posted

Thanks Sam... what paper did the article appear in? I would love to read it. I am going to slow down for now and keep researching. was there any intervention that cause your PSA to drop to 1.7 ?
    • Posted

Wow.Would have saved you a lot of anxiety... My urologist just walked in and said you have cancer, these are your options, radiotherapy or surgery, bye. Almost like it's an assembly line...
    • Posted

Sounds pretty much like here in Germany straight to the point, No messing you got cancer but we can HELP YOU, the urologist is always full but no appointment required, the first hour of the morning is for consultation with new patients. Yes it is also like am assembly line but very efficient. Had prostectomy one month after consultation & during that month had the biopsy & special xray make sure the surrounding area was clear, kidney etc. Had nerve sparing successfully completed local RO PSA 0. HOWEVER don't expect etectile function to quickly it takes time which may be quicker if you are younger! And have a undetstanding partner. One year on almost 95% dry can't see a good leg over happening soon. BUT I AM ALIVE! HAPPY so don't put to much emphasis on sex love your partner and the rest will come well actually yu don't but it still feels good! Good luck to yu all and I hope the urologist is as good has the one that did my op. and to all new comers be positive and get on with it.
  • Posted

Just an FYI....a friend of mine got thru this and beat it...you can too.

Hang in there.....and do your treatments...prayers and luck to you.

The "cancer" word is such a terrifying word. 

• Posted

Yes, he never told anyone at work about it because he didn't want to TALK about it all the time...think about it during work....he had his treatments...which I honestly don't know what they were....but his numbers were pretty high...after surgery and about 3 months out of work...

He is back to normal!  He is a GOOD friend of mine....and he specifically didn't tell me till it was over...because I would have been worried and questioning him about it ALL the time...that's just how I am.

After I found out...I was SO HAPPY he beat it...and you can too...sometimes just KNOWING it can be done...helps people to fight!  That is why I told you smile.

You GOT THIS.

• Posted

Great story! Thanks for caring enough to share it.
  • Posted

Hi

If surgeon cannot save nerves both sides during surgery then it is probable you will probably suffer erectile dysfunction,check before deciding. It is a life changing effect at your age. I had devinci surgery at 56 . I wish I had chosen another option.the surgeon will have a good idea from the pre op scans what will be the likely position

• Posted

What was it about you numbers(gleason, psa) that made you decide surgery was the best option?
  • Posted

hi

Advice at time was surgery was best option as cancer well contained and best option for me. At time i just wanted it gone . Other treatments were not quite as definative. My Gleeson score were quite low but post op biopsy showed I did have an aggresive variant. It was probably the right choice for me. No easy answers i am afraid . As i say if surgeon can spare both sides your chances of good recovery are much higher.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.