Just diagnosed with Thoracic Aortic Aneuryms ..scared!

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hello my name is Jennifer, my husband is 48 year old former body builder.  He has been lifting very heavy weights most of his life since his 20's.  More of a power lifter.  Through the years he has stopped and started a excercise weight lifting routine.  Two years ago he went to a cardiologist who said she did not see the aortic aneurysm, however , his check up this past month the new cardiologist saw it and said it was about 4.6 ascending thorasic aneurysm.  My husband was told to stop heavy weight lifting and heavy lifting period.  We are nervous and very scared about this diagnosis.  My husband feels like he has a ticking time bomb in his chest.  I am crying everyday because I am so scared.  Can anyone share any experiences or facts or advice.  It would all be so appreciated.  Thank you

0 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hey everyone it's been a while since I last posted.....

So I went to Cozumel for 1 week of diving, and although I was initially nervous due to my condition, the dive boat crew were more than accomodating by helping me all week carry my heavy equipment on/off the boat, bringing my gear to me while I sat at the edge of the boat, then once put on I would roll in, and finally taking my gear from me when I was at the boat ladder, then climbing on board with only wetsuit on. I completed 14 dives that week, listened to my body and took it easy (although hard not to get excited when seeing all the life in the sea!), enjoyed the hot weather, some great Mexican food and even some strong margaritas! 

The one side of me that worries and over-thinks wonders if I did anything to aggravate my TAA. But the other side, which I am letting win, says life is too short to walk around worried and anxious, enjoy life to the fullest (with caution, of course). 

Went to my daughter's Tae Kwon Do school today for board breaking day, we all had a great time and I even got involved in breaking a few myself. Nice to know after all these years I still have it, even if I am a little "banged up" LOL

Going out to a Cuban restaurant tonight with my wife and see a live band. Life is too short....let's share each other's stories, encouragement and support...but let's not forget to enjoy what we have, stay safe and enjoy the nice weather smile 

• Posted

Man, so much fun, and most importantly...

You are living and enjoying life as it should be.

So glad for you, good to hear from you and Thank You!

• Posted

Hi, I was just diagnosed on Sunday with. 4.9 thoracic aortic aneurysm. I'm very scared and trying to get as much information as I can. Has anyone heard if you are shorter, that the waiting until it reaches 5.5

May be problematic? My husband thinks I'm being crazy, but I'm really thrown for a loop and not sure how I can "go on living normally" knowing I have the problem.

• Posted

I know exactly how you feel Melissa. I'm going through the same thing. I was diagnosed with an ascending aorta anuersym just a couple of months ago. Mind was 4.8 centimeters.The cardiologist that discovered it told me to come back in 6 months and we'll check it again. I went for a second opinion and that cardiologist wanted to do surgery right away. The surgery has a lot of risks so I decided to wait and have another cat scan ina few months and go from there. I'm like you in that I'm mentally going crazy worrying about it. I'm not sure about the height and weight thing but I know there's a ratio that cardiologist use to determine whether to do surgery. The second cardiologist I went to said I wasn't high risk or low risk but moderate risk. I wouldn't have known I even had it except I got dizzy one day while exercising. You may want to get a second opinion. I've been researching this and it seems like the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio is the best place to go for surgery. Keep me posted on how things go for you. I'm a 64 year old female. You sound younger than me.

• Posted

Hi I get the scared. I get the time bomb in the chest, I use the analogy myself. I was diagnosed 7 or so years ago at 4.4, not years later its 4.8. I limit my workout, still do pushups and lots of walking... itits hard in the beginning, but he will adjust... be well... just keep getting it checked every 6 months. o

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.