Just diagnosed with UTI

Posted , 5 users are following.

I e just been diagnosed with a UTI caused by E. coli, anyone else have this? I also suffer from health anxiety so just looking for support thanks.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

All UTI's are caused by intestinal bacteria...such as E. coli.  These types of bacteria naturally inhabit the gut and it's when they makes their way to the urinary tract from the anus that an infection starts.  Women are more easily infected because bacteria has a shorter distance to travel to reach the urinary tract after entering the urethra.

This is why women are taught from a young age (or should be) to wipe "front to back".  This bacteria can also reach the urinary tract by sexual contact that isn't carefully conducted, by toilet water "splashback" and even, I read recently, when we pass gas.

• Posted

Thanks, I don't recall having a UTI before and it seems to have taken a while to figure out, well first round of antibiotics didn't work so on to next round of something different and they finally decided to take a culture to determine what's causing it, however not surenif it's in my bladder or kidneys.
    • Posted

If you're diagnosed with a UTI, that only tells you that you have an infection...not where in the urinary tract it is.  Your symptoms generally tell the doctor if it's a bladder or kidney infection (bladder infection is usually painful, with burning, constant urge to go, blood in the urine, etc. - but hardly ever any fever and very low grade if so).  A kidney infection will generally have high/low back pain (sometimes very severe), blood in the urine, frequent urge to urinate, etc. - and a fever that can become quite high.

I've taken antibiotics the last 21 days out of 30 and my bladder infection has just begun to respond.

• Posted

Not all UTI's are caused by intestinal bacteria. There are other organisms found in urine that aren't found in the bowel.
    • Posted

Would these other organisms get into the urethra by sexual contact? Would the bladder infection be part of an STD along with other symptoms?
    • Posted

Hello madge yes organisms can get into the urethra that way because the urethra is very close to the vagina. People with STD's do sometimes have symptoms of a UTI and from what I can remember they can have a UTI but I know the symptoms are extreme such as when they try to pee (and this includes men) it's like trying to pass razor blades and it takes longer to treat.
  • Posted

It's the most common cause of UTI. I suppose anyone who has has one will have had an infection caused by Ecoli.
    • Posted

Thanks first round of cipro didn't work so on something else now, I have mild pain in my left side can sometimes feel it in my back. Hopefully it clears up with this treatment.
  • Posted

What antibiotic are you on now, Ashley? 
    • Posted

i'm on Cefinime for 7 days.  i think it's getting better, but will go for a follow up to make sure.
  • Posted

I think you mean cefixime?  It's a cephalosporin antibiotic, so that should do it!  Good luck, I hope it clears.
  • Posted

Hi Ashley, 

Just wondering how you are going? Has it returned at all? I am a 21-year-old female with a lot of experience with this infection. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.