Just discovered being trapped makes my anxiety worse

Posted , 7 users are following.

Just been to the pictures with my pals to watch inbetweeners 2 I love that prpgramme and the first film but just had a very horrible experience with anxiety 

Soon ad I got in I got the sweats I felt trapped and nervous noing I had to sit there for the duration of the film 

I got pains In my chest 

I was constantly monitoring my breathing trying to stay relaxed and nothing I did helped 

Film finish and I was dizzy walking out with everyone 

Jumped in me car to write this and now I feel fine 

I could cry IIreally could and thats unusual for a 23 year old male sad

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I hope it does help. It was only by finding this forum that I actually discovered how and why panic attacks happen - I would never have equated them with the flight / fight response until someone wrote a long explanation!

Your brain's getting the anxiety message which triggers adreniline, and this starts getting the body ready to run or stay and fight, just as our ancient ancestors did, so the heartbeat quickens and breathing becomes rapid and shallow, starving the extremities of oxygen whilst arm and leg muscles are galvanised into flight or fight mode. Even the frequent urges to go to the loo are, apparently, all down to adreniline and the body's automatic responses - the requirement to expel any excess weight at that moment so the body is as light as possible for running or fighting.

We are amazing machines, really! We tend to forget that.

• Posted

Wow thank you so much for explaining this 

This really makes me understand why I get pains 

All because of adrenaline .I need to learn to stay calm and relax now

• Posted

I know it's easier said than done in some situations!

Whenever I start getting worried about a loved one for any reason, I start feeling very sick and shaky. As soon as the fear has been taken away through reassurance that all is well with that person or situation, then I sort of slump and feel quite wobbly! I guess the over-production of adreniline will have that effect - it isn't needed for physical purposes but is still buzzing around the body!

It's amazing how well you can feel after the perceived threat to the body is no longer there and everything relaxes, as you found out in your car!

I must remind myself of this when it happens again! It's all just down to prehistoric responses that keep us linked to our Neanderthal ancestors - and beyond!

• Posted

I need to find a happy place for when I am out and about so I can relax and get back to normal

I since found out hangovers make anxiety worse aswell ao in off the drink 

I had a heavy night on friday at the pub with my friends

• Posted

Hmmm...no, that wouldn't help! Anything that makes you feel lousy in the first place will just fuel your anxiety.

It's a viscious circle so best not go there.

Happy places are good. Best places to go when stress and anxiety strike for whatever reason.

I'd been getting quite stressed a few weeks ago. Had a rare evening out which turned into getting a bit sozzled (not enough for a hangover, luckily) and belting out a karaoke song! Boy, did I feel better after that! A bit sheepish, but calmer next day!

• Posted

Its so nice and calming to here from someone that has been through all whats happening to me 

So reassuring

• Posted

That's good - happy to be of service.

I've had years to first find a name for what I was suffering, then to realise what was triggering the attacks and to recognise the early symptoms so I could nip them in the bud before they got a real hold.

All you have to do is to remember your alarming symptoms are just a reaction to adreniline and not harmful in any way - then you can just get on with enjoying life and being with your mates x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.