Just discovered stone in submandibular gland

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi for the last year i've had acute swelling of my gland after eating. Nothing bad but in the last couple of weeks it swelled up much bigger than normal and took at least 2 hours for it to go back down. I was in alot pain and discomfort so went to the doctor where they sugessted i have a CT scan. The findings were that i have a 6mm stone in my salivary gland. The swelling has been getting worse and all the doctor has suggested is sucking on lemon drops. Will this really work? And how? :?

Also i heard that they can pass through the duct and eventually come out of the mouth. Does this hurt? And how do you help it move so it does come out?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have the same problem before. I massage the gland everyday and suck lemon candy and chew gums. In about 2 months time, the stone was push out just behind the duct opening. It can't come out by itself cause it is bigger than the duct opening. But now it can be easily take out by an oral surgeon.
  • Posted

Hi all.

30 years ago, I had this problem. Swelling and pain of a salivery duct caused by a small stone. This became increasingly acute.....anti-biotics were not helping......and my GP admitted me to hospital. They were about to operate, when a surgeon took another look. He gave the gland a good squeeze and the stone popped out.

No further problems over 30 years!

• Posted

I I'm 22 year old female. I've finally found others who know what I'm talking about! I had stone problems in my submandibular gland 3 years ago now. the stone came up in the duct under my tongue and felt like i had a little tongue piercing. I tried to have it removed under local anaesthetic but they lost it and it probably went back down? is that possible?

Two years on, I have a swollen same smd gland and the pain is off and on. Mostly after eating. But i'm feeling feeverish and sometimes feel like I can't breathe. I have just been refered to an ENT. Is this right? Doctor thought that antibiotics wouldn't help. I can't feel any stones, so was thinking that maybe it is just infected.

• Posted

[quote:55be3d2b16=\"Ziggy\"]I I'm 22 year old female. I've finally found others who know what I'm talking about! I had stone problems in my submandibular gland 3 years ago now. the stone came up in the duct under my tongue and felt like i had a little tongue piercing. I tried to have it removed under local anaesthetic but they lost it and it probably went back down? is that possible?

Two years on, I have a swollen same smd gland and the pain is off and on. Mostly after eating. But i'm feeling feeverish and sometimes feel like I can't breathe. I have just been refered to an ENT. Is this right? Doctor thought that antibiotics wouldn't help. I can't feel any stones, so was thinking that maybe it is just infected.[/quote:55be3d2b16]

I am a 23 year old female. I've had salivary stones if my left submandibular gland for about 7 years now. I always thought it was due to my food allergies since it usually happened when I ate or drank brew. I have allergies to wheat, corn, soy, chocolate, and grapes so it often when ignored. One day I took a bite of an apple, my gland was so swollen I could hardly breath so I went to the hospital and right away he suggested salivary stone so I got x-ray and a referral to an ENT. (Dr. Prince, Warsaw, N.Y.) She suggested a simple surgical procedure to remove the entire gland which I will have done on Oct. 3rd 2007. I'll post as soon as I can after the surgery to let you know how it went.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.