Just don't know what to do 16 weeks on meds

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone it's been 16 weeks since I started 20mg fluoxetine and 80mg propranolol, I'm really struggling with negative thoughts and worries once I think of a negative thought and I feel a rush of anxiety that thought then sticks around. I just want them to stop because there so horrible and make me feel so down I feel like they will never go.

I had a review yesterday with my gp yesterday and she said if I need another boost to up the meds but I'm scared to do this and don't see how it will stop the thoughts. Just feel at this stage in recovery I should feel much better not still thinking I have no reason to live and my lifes rubbish etc.

Anyone got any advise please

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Up the Fluox you might need a bit more.. I know I did and I am happy I did increase and the anxiety finally left. It takes time it is not a quick fix but it is better than staying the way you feel now! If you do increase then go up to 30mg to start with for a few weeks then up to 40mg... do not let your GP just throw you up to 40 straight away. You will more than likely have some side effects again.. insomnia.. headache etc.. but push on thru it all. You are way stronger than you think!
    • Posted

I feel really scared to up my dose but on the other hand I have gave the 20mg 16 weeks which is a very long time. My GP didn't want to push a increase on me and left the decission to me so I dont have to rush into it just feel spilt one part of me says increase the other doesnt.

Are you recovered now then lookingonwards?

• Posted

Hey abi, I increased from 20-40mgs 3 weeks ago, so 12 weeks in total now, and in the past few days I have dramatically turned a corner, no more nausea and kicked in the stomach feeling, shaking and sweating gone, had the best night sleep in months last night, feeling content to just 'be' been listening to music and enjoying little things in life again like clothes shopping and planning for the weekend, such a relief I can't tell you, after feeling so awful for months, so I would definitely advise going up a dose, yes there are side effects and I had a pretty bad week last week so much so I had to take 20mgs of diazepam which I never do, on Saturday but then on Sunday I just started to feel so much better and I can say now they are worth it, just hope it continues, I'm here if you need support x

• Posted

Do you suffer from negative thoughts they are literally taking over me and I don't know if medication can even help them, it's horrible.

Just last week I thought I may be turning a corner but now I feel these thoughts will never stop.

Thanks.x

• Posted

Hi abi, how are you feeling now? I'd had a pretty crappy week - just when I thought I'd turned a corner, so it 14 weeks for me now - 4 weeks on 40mgs and I just don't know what to do, bad nights sleep last night, sweats, thinking I'm actually starting menopause which is probably causing a lot of symptoms thou the fluoxetine is often prescribed to help with menopause, so it should help, maybe I just need to give it more time..

• Posted

Hi Abi, it does sound like you may need a higher dose perhaps, if there is almost no improvement at 4 months. But I understand your fear about upping the dose - most people say they get new batch of side effects with that, but they usually also report they do feel better once settled on the new dose. I would be scared too, as the side effects were so awful even going to 20mg for me. sad It's a very tough decision to make, and i don't think anyone can help you predict what will happen, even the GP. How do you feel today?

• Posted

Hi Luci,

Its been very up and down for me over the 4 months I have felt ok then bad again then ok then hit rock bottom then okish then bad again but never great.

I think that was why my GP wasn't very pushy with me to increase she left it in my hands.

Ermmmm a little better, its all the negative thoughts there driving me crazy making me feel like im going mad.

• Posted

Yes my GP is the same here in the UK, she says it is up to me to increase the dose or change to something else; to be honest I don't think they know much, they are GPs, not psychiatrists.

I have a review in 2 weeks when I will be at 10 weeks, and I am considering going to 30mg from the current 20mg.

Negative thoughts really suck. I have them a lot too, and generally fears of a lot of stuff and very low self confidence right now; difficult to believe at the moment that I will recover, so I get you. I have had some good days though in recent 2-3 weeks, but it was always when I had company of very nice friends and usually when I was doing lots of walking etc. I think maybe sport would help, just most days I feel too low to get myself to do anything like that. When I do, it helps. Have you tried any exercise?

• Posted

Hey abi are you feeling better since your last post?
    • Posted

hi Abi - I see your post is from a while ago, but curious to see if Fluoxetine ultimately helped you? I Hope so. I am back on it now after 1.5 years and waiting for the 100% effect, and while it's slow, it has helped. I came across your posts and just hoped that you found some relief at last.

• Posted

i am in the same boat but have a some Ok days previously . its so disheartening to feel ok for a few days that crappy , no energy or motivation . I am at 30mgs from 10 to 20 and now 30 for 10 weeks . wish i could see if i was on the right path .

how did things turn out ?

good luck to you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.