Just don't know what to do anymore

Posted , 6 users are following.

I developed hypothyroidism when I was 15, I wasn't diagnosed with hypothyroidism then but I know that's when I developed it, because that was when my life began to totally go down hill. I used to dance 3x a week, go on long walks with the dogs and go out with my friends but after finishing my GCSE's I didn't even have the energy to celebrate. I spent that summer in bed, exhausted and depressed.

I for even recognise myself anymore and she to the doctors taking 3 years to even test my thyroid I have put on weight and battled with it alone.

They only took me seriously when I became pregnant and diagnosed me with sub clinical hypothyroidism and put me on 25mcg of levo. It's gone up to 150mcg and when it goes get put up, I feel well for about 2 weeks and then return to my usual depressed, exhausted and totally useless self.

I've been told I have hashimotos (had the antibodies present) by one endocrinologist who then told me I don't, I've been told my levels are "within the normal range" by another who asked me "why I'm here if I've JUST got an under active thyroid"  and been dismissed by every doctor I've seen.

I've been tested for everything you could imagine, I've never been given my blood test results and I've been left feeling hopeless.

I'm in tears writing this because I've wasted 5 coming upto 6 years of my life.

I'm exhausted almost everyday, sleeping up to 4 hrs in the afternoon because I simply can not go in, I try desperately to be active and it burns me out completely. I'm cold all the time, depressed all the time along with several other symptoms such as aches and pains, insomnia, dry skin, brittle nails, eyebrows practically disappearing, constipation etc.

I just don't know how I can sort this, when I see a different consultant every time with a different attitude and opinion. Especially when I don't know my results, or whether my levels are optimum or just "normal".

Can I take things into my own hands with this? Or do I really have to rely on these idiots?

So sorry for the rant, I'm so fed up.

Thank you if you've read it all.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Dear Bethany. I'm so sorry to hear all of your problems. I also have an underactive thyroid but I have been lucky my medication has settled mine but my sister has been like you and your right no one seems to have the same answer. Next time you go ask about your readings and ask lots of questions be a bit forthright it's your health not there's. you are depressed also tell them  that too. Hope someone listens to you. Take care. 
  • Posted

Hello Bethany ,I can so understand how you feel having been there myself & under treated for thyroid for 10 years even when I kept asking the Dr if that could be what was wrong with me.GP 's in my experience are no good at recognising the symptoms or treating it when you finally get diagnosed.We have to learn to help ourselves by reading all we can,changing GP if he won't listen & joining a good support group.I learned a lot on this group & also now self medicate as Levothyroxine did nothing for me.Look on Facebook for Thyroid Support UK- Patient to Patient help & Support who between them have more knowledge of ways to help you than most GP'.s. Don't give up fight to help youself, Hope this helps,
  • Posted

Hi Bethany

It's a nightmare isn't it. I have had under active for many years. I also have other auto immune conditions . I have only just found out that Thyroxine tablets should be taken with a full glass of water and before you eat anything. Also NOT to take any stomach medication or laxitives at the same time as they prevent the thyroid tabs from working properly. You may already know all this. There ae certain foods to avoid as well. Look up on different websites it might help. Hope this helps.

• Posted

thyroid isn't a nice thing and i'm sorry to hear your story. i've just been to a naturopath as i thought i don't want to be on medication for the rest of my life ... even tho the doctors say you have to be if you have hypothroidism. i'm on natural drops and powder and feel really good. i'm hoping to be off my medication by the end of the year.  good luck and keep you head up because it does get better.
  • Posted

Hi Bethany, sound likes you a going through it.  I've had underactive for 15 yrs.  Only recently did I go for food testing.  The doctor was really good. Done research on our condition with foods.  I've followed her advice.  She also went into absortion of Iron and our system struggling to pick it up, certain groups of food our systems will struggle with. I now take Feroglobin (liquid Iron), not tablet form as it will make you constipated.  I was told to also start taking Selenium with A, C & E. (helps absorb the iron) and what a difference.  Go and get food tested.  I should have done it years ago.  Certain groups of food we should not be eating.  Wheat etc. What a difference. 2 months down the line feel completely different. No longer tired, bloated, losing weight. , nails, hair, skin all better. It takes about 6 months to filter out of our bodies. Down side, I do miss bread but how I feel now far out weighs going gluten free, red wine, coffee, and other foods.  Get into home made fruit and veg juices (Carrot and Ginger - good natural energy drink) . Hope this helps.  As this doctor said, you are given tablets to take for the rest of your life but not explained what you need to do help your body.  She's done research into food and our condition.  How I feel,  all I can say continue doing the research.  Its worth it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.