Just finished second lot of antibiotics, still got uti

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had a uti now for the past month. Was given

Nitrofurantoin, a three day course which did nothing, went back to my GP, after a week and was given another course of the same antibiotic, 250mg four times a day for a week. I was told that the lab result of my urine would be suited to nitrofurantoin and that will clear it. I finished taking it on Saturday and still have pressure on my bladder, waking up at 4am to go to the toilet. Getting really worried now, I have an appointment with my doctor on Thursday. I just hope it's nothing serious as the antibiotics I've taken aren't shifting it. Everyone on this forum suggests that nitrofurantoin works. Has anyone got any advice?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

The strain of bacteria might be antibiotic resistant, regardless of whether the doctor believes that nitrofurantoin should work. You might need something stronger.  Start taking probiotics to repopulate your beneficial bacteria, if you haven't already done so.  

Please let us know how you get on!

• Posted

I have this morning been give a script for this. Told the same as you, will clear it up. I am not going to take it. Because a while back i kept going round the loop of AB's and recurring UTI. I cured it myself.

I only went to GP today to get a swab and lab test done to conclude if e-coli is the culprit.

Ask your GP if your UTI is e-coli.

if it helps at all this is what i am doing:-

d-mannose, 3Grams every 3 hours. and in the night. Not sure we can put a brand on here? happy to share if we are...., but get a good one that has no additives at all.

1/4 tsp of Bicarb of Soda x 2 a day in,lge glass of water to alkalise the urine/bladder.

Upping big time alkaline foods, no caffeine

Have just ordered Garlic tablets

Also - Uvi Ursa, never tried it but seems to have good feedback/results on the net

• Posted

Hi Judy,

Yes, apparently it is e-coli.

I will try the d-mannose like you suggested, that appears quite a lot on this forum. Thanks for your advice.

Ive got another appointment with my GP on Thursday, hopefully he will take another urine sample. 

Im getting married in a month! And want this gone by then!

• Posted

Cultures of my uti's always showed being sensitive to Nitrofurantoin.  I took it only once (the 250mg 4x/day for 7 days).  At the end of the 7 days, my uti was worse.  Go figure.  Others swear by it.  So, I guess it all depends.   Hopefully your doctor will try another antibiotic for you.  You should get another culture too.

• Posted

Hi

Did you get given another antibiotic?

I'm just finding the pressure on my bladder so uncomfortable,  it's worse when I'm sitting or lying down. The last uti I had was about 8 years ago, and went with the antibiotic I was given. 

• Posted

Yes Hannah, I've been on several.  I ended up on Ceftin and took a low dose for about 3 months.  It cleared the e-coli, but now I have an asymptomatic uti with enterococcus which I am not treating yet.  Like poster Sam, I think initially I was not given a strong enough antibiotic dose for long enough, and the e-coli just was never killed completely off.  E-Coli multiplies rapidly; like every 20 minutes it duplicates itself.

• Posted

Hi Hannah,

I think they are not giving you a long enough dose of the antibiotics. That's what happened to me in the beginning and now I am stuck on antibiotics full-time 3 1/2 years on. If they had cleared my infection up in the beginning then I wouldn't be in this situation now. Try to get yours sorted at this early stage if I was you. I'm left with my bladder not emptying properly now, so have to self catheterise which is no fun!!

All the best to you and keep us informed.

Sam xx

• Posted

Hi Sam,

That must be awful, really sorry to hear that!

I'm going back to see my GP Thursday, so hopefully they will give me a different antibiotic and for longer. In the mean time I'm going to get some d-mannose, which seems to help some people.

• Posted

Definitely a good plan to go back to GP. A lot of people do find D Mannose helpful, so I guess it's worth a try. I'm allergic to nearly all the antibiotics and only able to take the two that I'm taking at present. There is something else that can help called Hiprex. You would need to discuss this with your GP. Unfortunately I cannot take it, as it burned the living day lights out of my bladder.

Good luck and hope all goes well. Xx

• Posted

I've just been back to see my GP following on from

My last two lots of antibiotics which didn't work.

He would have expected the second lot of antibiotics to work nitrofurantoin. So wants to do further tests And has prescribed another weeks course of antibiotic called Selexid. Is sending off another urine sample and I've got to have some bloods tested for diabetes. He advises that if these antibiotics don't work, to go back and he will refer me to a urologist, for a scan of my kidneys and bladder.

I'm concerned now, that it might not be a UTI. I just hope these antibiotics clear it.

• Posted

Why do they suspect diabetes?

Here in the USA we don't have Selexid.  That is a penicillin-like drug.  Most E-coli are not suseceptible to penicillin, but if you have one of the Gram Positive bacteria, it may work.

• Posted

I think a frequent uti can be a symptom of diabetes. doing the blood tests are also to check blood cells as well.

He said that semexid was another antibiotic that was sensitive to the infection I've got. Just hope it works

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.