Just found out have bursitis on my TKR :(

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys .. I have had one TKR and have nothing but problems (mine was due by being run over by a truck) I'm 10mths post op have now had a bursitis on my hip for 4mths and am having a 2nd ultrasound guided booster injection on Monday for it.  Have just found out today that I have a bursitis in the muscle surrounding my TKR .. I had a fall full on my operated knee on day 8 after surgery.  Xray came back all was clear but I personally thought something wasn't right with my knee .. even tho I had no idea what my knee would feel like.  Dr says that it has shown up more and the pain associated with it has been so intense since I stopped taking narcotics.  He also believes that it happened with my fall as I've always complained about it but not to this extent.  So glad I'm off the narcotics as I fully want them out of my system b4 my next TKR so the drugs will work better.  Dr says that he has only ever seen a bursitis on a TKR once b4, has anyone else suffered with this .. this has been one horrendous experience .. hoping the next one flies by without issues!

Thanks to all .. Cheers Tracey

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I also have bursitis on inside of tkr knee. It's been bothering me for over a month and I'm almost a year out with tkr. Just went to ortho dr for my year check and he diagnosed it. Told me to do exercises to strengthen my hamstring muscles or if it really bothered me I could get a cortisone shot. I'm going with exercises. I also read to ice and elevate for bursitis so I'll do that too. I probably don't have it as bad as you because I can live with this (even tho I don't want to) im kind of over knee pain.

• Posted

Totally agree Mary I too am over all these non stop issues that I've had due to this darn new knee .. but trying to keep postive for my other knee!  But it is hard when it just one thing after another .. am hoping that the booster shot in my hip helps tmw as they only give you 2 shots and if they don't work there's no use in further ones.  Due to having this bursitis since just after my op (the one on the outside of my knee) I'm going to go with an injection for that one too.  I can't wait much longer to have my other one as both knees were damaged the same and the surgeon just chose which one to do first but the other one is stopping me from being able to do alot of exercises at the gym etc...  Hope you don't suffer long smile 

Cheers Tracey

• Posted

Good luck Tracey with the shots. Hope they work for you. I'm treating my other knee very gently because I really don't want to have it done. But it seems that if you have one bad knee the other one is in same condition. I'm glad we can all support each other through this site. Take care - let us know how things work out

Mary Ann

• Posted

Me too Mary, but me thinks I forget the previous pain I had.  I don't don't don't want the second one done. I spoke to a woman previous to my surgery she swore her Tkr went well because she juiced or detoxed her self a month or two before hand?? Who knows, one thing I do know is I think I'll go into it a little more healthy and stronger, not that i was totally out of shape going into the first one, ,,,,,, but....... I'll try anything to at least try to make it a little more positive experience,  ahhhhhh, maybe I'm just a dreamer..... I hear u... Best kathy p

• Posted

Tijim,  sounds like your having a really difficult time. I truly feel for you.  I have never experienced the bursitis. But one thing I do know is this tkr experience is one heck of a ride, not for the faint of heart.  Scarey, pain pain p painful! Challenging... Blah blah, it's like we almost need a degree in tkr  science before letting the trusted doctor we believe in to do the job???  All I can suggest is maybe get a second opinion. Hang in there, I believe there are better days ahead for healing and good health for all of us. best,  Kathy p

• Posted

Thanks Kathy .. it's been a long journey and due to waiting for government insurance accident approval took 6yrs to say yes for new knees I wasn't what you'd call fit b4 the op due to waiting around for them to say yes for 6yrs sad  But at least I've had one of the top ortho surgeons in the country and get seen in a lovely private hospital with the best food all for nothing .. but doesn't help with the healing process!  I've learnt alot from this knee about what to do for the other knee .. unfortunately I'm unable to strengthen it as much as I'd like to b4 surgery whenever that will be as it's too damaged to do anything.  I'm not looking forward to the other knee being done mainly cos I've had issue after issue with the first .. but it's stopping me so much with so many exercises at the gym that I just need it done so I can get them both better.

Take care, Tracey

• Posted

all in the name of "patience" ??? i'll pray for you tracey.  As far as the strengthening, maybe you can do leg lifts in bed, has pt/phisio given you any of those, not so hard on the leg/knee then the standing exercises.  just a suggestion.  hang in there and try to stay strong, best, kathy p

• Posted

Hi Kathy .. yep do all those started them in hospital .. but due to me doing so well on my own I never had rehab or pt/physio .. didn't start physio until found out I had over done my exercises with weak quads but thankfully I can know feel the difference in them all the time as they are getting stronger and stronger.  Thanks for your advice and suggestions all taken onboard .. love this forum, Tracey smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.