Just found out I have a huge kidney stone about 1.6 cm. What is the best way to have it removed?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 32 and besides broken bones or the flu this is the first time I've had something medically wrong. A little scared.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Depending on the size of the stone you should be able to pass it. It does not seem too big to me but I am not an expert on this.

Robinson's Lemon Barley Water is good for kidney stones.

Make sure you drink plenty.  You really need to be having 3 - 4 pints of fluid a day. This can include tea coffee and soup but do make sure you are also drinking plenty of plain tap water.

You maybe have seen a urologist? If not you really need to see one.

Hope this helps.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Hi Daniel

That's the size my kidney stone was when they found I had one they tried blasting my to break it down under anaesthetic but only got 20% of it as it's at the bottom of my left kidney it has grown now to 20mm and I'm having keyhole surgery this Thurs . I have never had one before I drink lots of water and lemon water . I presume your urologist will discuss how to treat it and discuss diet etc. yes like Sarah said drink lots of water have you had ct scan ?

• Posted

Get to a urologist there’s nothing you can do by yourself for that... you don’t pass stones like that. If u did not have a Cat scan get one.

If the doctor did not make u get one then Yur seeing the wrong doctor too. Ultrasound is not good enough too..

• Posted

I am sorry you are going through this. I am 33 and, like you, I never had anything wrong with me last fall (when I was 32) and found a stone in my right kidney. 1.6cm is quite large. Unfortunately, I don't see you getting out of this without an operation. As for which type of operation? That just depends on factors like location and shape of the stone. In my case, I had a 4-5mm stone that got stuck while traveling through the ureter from kidney to bladder. I had some scar tissue at the junction where the ureter meets the bladder and it got caught on it. So my operation consisted of a ureteroscopy (to blast the stone), and a cystoscopy (to remove the scar tissue). They were both done at the same time and the operation took about an hour and I was put under, so it wasn't bad at all. However, the aftercare is a little unpleasant. They put in a stent for a week with a string attached. The stent goes from kidney to bladder and the string is attached to the end that's in the bladder so the stent can be pulled out without needing another operation. In case you're having trouble picturing it, the string comes out of your urethra and hangs in the open world. For a week. That was the most unpleasant part of the operation for me. Uncomfortable, but not really painful. Not trying to scare you, just giving you an idea of what might happen. Honestly, the stent was nothing compared to the pain I had suffered through for 4 weeks prior to my operation. Is your stone causing you pain? You need a Urologist to take action and start with a ct scan. If you have pain or develop pain, it can make you nauseous. Zofran helps a lot with that. Its a fast acting anti-nausea. Good luck! Let us know how it's going.

• Posted

Thank y'all very much I will definitely keep everyone updated

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.